Theories and Conjecture about the Yamato Class Battleship

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Commodore Red
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Theories and Conjecture about the Yamato Class Battleship

Post by Commodore Red » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:38 pm

I fisrt became aware of this design while playing the original Starfleet Command PC game....it was just an all out uber ship and has always intrigued me, but seems to be not so popular overall. For those folks not familiar here is the only really good 3 view I have been able to find....

Imageyamato_class_bb_by_jetfreak74656-d34lcz1 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

I'm placing this vessel in the late TMP or Possibly the Enterprise B era, and I'm running into a bit of a problem with the ships size. The only listing I could find was a length of 854m which is totally whacky cause that would make it larger than a Galaxy Class! So thats much too large for a TMP vessel in the PRime Timeline, at least to my way of thinking. Well looking at it it appears to use Refit nacelles and Excelsior secondary hulls, and this is where the fun begins. Nashstar Shipyards on Shapeways offeres a 5.1" model

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YWWFV ... r-wishlist

But if those are Excelsior Class Hulls this makes it far too small. I grabbed some bits I had in the shipyards and did a rough layout. Using full sized excelsior hulls makes 5.1" waaaay to small, in reality it would put the ship in the ballpark of 8" or 508m long.....in otherwords BIG!

Imageyamatoplanning01 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

However lets assume they just look like Excelsior hulls and they are really smaller and those really are LN-64 Warp nacelles then the 5.1 length works out pretty good at 323m if I did the math right. Thats just a bit longer than the Refit and prolly got more internal volume which I think works for the TMP era, it would have taken advantage of the existing technologies much like the Constellation Class did. I'll prolly get one, if nothing else just to use as a guide for proportions. I can always call it a battle cruiser or whatever if I get Uber Ship madness. What do y'all think?

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Theories and Conjecture about the Yamato Class Battleship

Post by el gato » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm digging that saucer you mocked up.

But that's not what you asked. I don't like the design, but if you are going to bash one, you'll want to note that the nacelles are not quite Refit nacelles. The grills wrap around. You'll also want to use slightly larger nacelles to get the proportions right.

Bashing the neck may also be tricky. I can't really tell what they look like
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Commodore Red
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Commodore Red » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Well that particular saucer belongs to a 2500 scale JJprise I got in the works, but I think the saucer size is about right proportionally with the hulls if I decide to go that route.......

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:30 pm

What a strange fairy-looking beast. Call it the USS JABBERWOCK.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Commodore Red
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Commodore Red » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

After careful consideration Wescon Dynamics has accepted a contract from Starfleet R&D to construct a Yamato Class Battleship (BB) Codenamed: Project Thunder

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Cool looking design.
If I had to hazard a guess- definitely the Lost Era.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Commodore Red
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Commodore Red » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:23 pm

To my way of thinking the project was underweigh at the time of ST:6 with maybe only one or two vessels completed, then the whole shooting match canceled with the treaty with the Klingons to become out allies........Of coutse I'm sure the Klingons appreciated the design for its pure guile........Lol

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by RogueWolf » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Roll bars with weapon pods, quad nacelles and two secondary hulls? No thanks - I'd file it under bad fan-boy design.

But that's just me. YMMV - to each their own.

But if you are going to build one, I say go all out! While I might not agree with every ship design out there, I do appreciate others passion and their skills when building a project.

Go get 'em!!!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Commodore Red
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Commodore Red » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Well in my verse, the things on the roll bars are fire control sensors....thsi is a big ol gunship afterall, and it just LOOKS like a pair of secondary hulls....its really a catamaran hull, sort like the Phobos, or Deimos, or Akira or NX class.....even has a sizable section between them as connectoors, otherwise ya have a weird M/AMR arrangment......And the quad enegines are present for the same reason they are on the Constellation Class, (whatever ya want that to be) andthe connecting pylons are actually armoured sheild protectecting the critical areas of engineering..... That all being said I thought it was a weird design and looked too much like Andromeda when I first became aware of it, but its kinda grown on me over the years.....like a bad toe fungus.......

mcb359
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by mcb359 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:37 pm

The ship doesn't look too bad from front and back. Kinda reminds me of the design that seems to be generally accepted as the Bradbury-class. Not keen on the top or side views though.

Return to “1/2500”