Mo's Shipyard

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: Mo's Shipyard

Post by mophius » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Down at the table and just found my Ent-B secondary hull. Quick, I thought, while it is still fresh in my mind.
I have trimmed and shaped the hanger doors and looks a little like this.
DSC_0039.JPG
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Checked out my Refit to find the under saucer wallpaper was lifting near the neck on both sides.
I softened it up with some microset and after a couple of applications of that dried off what I could and put some watered down PVA glue under and pressed down with some paper towel.
DSC_0040.JPG
After that I wasn't sure where to turn, looked up and there was a Surya crying out to be done.
Detailing in medium grey around the nacelle and on the spine of the saucer. What is that part anyway?
DSC_0041.JPG
Moved on to the Thoth class after that.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:32 pm

Surya got most of my attention tonight.
Impulse engine exhaust, bridge and transporter tube, dome and finishing off the nacelles for detailing.
Decals also got put on.
I kept this one simple as I just wanted another one finished. I do have another Surya I can go to town on with saucer rings, windows, nacelles and other finer details but not yet. I still need to get some more simple builds under my belt yet.
Just need to clearcoat it to finish it off.
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0046.JPG

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:22 am

Snow day today so may do some modeling.
DSC_0048_20180228102155627.jpg

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:38 pm

So, Mo, this looks like your drydock thread. Nice. Gotta do a bit of that myself.

Carry on! Looking good!

Steve

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:03 pm

mophius wrote:After that I wasn't sure where to turn, looked up and there was a Surya crying out to be done.
Detailing in medium grey around the nacelle and on the spine of the saucer. What is that part anyway?
You mean the grey part above the impulse engines? It's the linear accelerator

Nice job on the Surya, BTW. It came together well for you. I had issues with the pylons being too thin on my version
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Thanks E. G.
I may put some windows on the saucer slopes, edges and at the sides above the pylons as it does look very bare. Problem is then it will need more embellishment with grills and lights..... and it never stops. Definitely on the next one and more nacelle detailing too.
The pylons were very thin, you could see the piano wire through both sides of them. I more ignored them than done anything with them. More trimming around the saucer fit than anything just to get them to sit level, which they don't. ha
When the weather clears here I will take it to work and put the finishing coatings on.

Ok, tonight I was working on the Refit. Decals to be precise but not many. Deflector, Impulse crystal, lower dome surround, command deck forward horseshoe and a couple of saucer registries. Deflector was the worst one as it cracked when pushing in the get flat, now one bit overlaps another. Again it has been sitting around long enough that I just want it done now. My impatience will show on the final product but at least I will be able to do it again one day.
DSC_0050.JPG
DSC_0049.JPG
I did also start cleaning up an AP Atlacatl cruiser. I need to wash it properly next.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:37 pm

mophius wrote:The pylons were very thin, you could see the piano wire through both sides of them. I more ignored them than done anything with them. More trimming around the saucer fit than anything just to get them to sit level, which they don't. ha
I got so tired of them not being level I dug shallow trenches under the body as kind of countersinks to compensate for the height difference. After gluing them I reinforced the joint with putty. Looking back I should have glued thin sheets of styrene cut to the shape on both sides. That would've made the pylons wider and more structurally sound. Oh well, could've would've should've :P
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:42 pm

Refit got a couple more decals tonight but only one set around the deflector and one on the command deck.
No pics as I was getting despondent and didn't want to send it to Qo'nos.

A new build is also underway check it out on its own thread.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 pm

mophius wrote:Surya got most of my attention tonight.
Impulse engine exhaust, bridge and transporter tube, dome and finishing off the nacelles for detailing.
Decals also got put on.
I kept this one simple as I just wanted another one finished. I do have another Surya I can go to town on with saucer rings, windows, nacelles and other finer details but not yet. I still need to get some more simple builds under my belt yet.
Just need to clearcoat it to finish it off.
DSC_0045.JPGDSC_0046.JPG
Love this! I have a couple of Surya builds- one was a "second" that I built as a shipwreck....which was more fun to build than the minty fresh version!

Return to “1/2500”