Mo's Shipyard

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: Mo's Shipyard

Post by mophius » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Well gentlemen, and ladies (just in case), I was hoping to get back to the table tonight but time seems to have slipped through my fingers.
I was busy scanning my decals, as I normally do, for back up purposes. I managed to get about half my home stock done. I just need to go through the bagged kits and scan those sheets. And I need to do the same for the ones I have at my work stockpile except that will take so much longer. :D

I do think that I am ready to getback on it and build, build, build. The AP Atlacatl will be the first to get my main attention but I also need to finish my Refit. After that my stash is subject to a big rummage to see what gem I can find to wow you all with. For all my meagre skills anyway.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:39 pm

This is what I had on the bench tonight
DSC_0009_20180426233055323.jpg
Unfortunately only the Atlacatl and the two Defiant variants were touched.
Atlacatl you can see in its own thread.
Defiant variants only had the bussard collectors painted. Nothing exciting.
However...
I did glue this together...
DSC_0010.JPG
UGH Romulan Capsize.
I still have some cleaning around one of the nacelles and some filling of the other but found myself wanting more Rommies on the shelf.
It was either this one or wait until tomorrow and get either the Valdore or Vengeance from my stash at work. I really need to start some of the bigger kits to challenge myself a little.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:55 pm

I'm on the fence on the Capsize. What you do with it will determine whether I get it.

No pressure... :P
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Wed May 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Clean up of the cruiser has taken place tonight. It is official, you heard it here first. I now need another two kits. :lol:

Saucer, neck and secondary hull of the Kaydee and pylons and nacelles of the Connie 3 have now been cleaned and are ready for some glue. I tried to get the Impulse engines from the Kaydee too but I snapped them putting them in. I found that the Connie had a square Impulse decal in the kit so will go for that instead of the smaller split engines.
Split engines
kaydee_2500_04_700.png
Single engine
conniemk3_2500_04_700.png
I know what you are thinking, it's not much of a kitbash but there are differences between this and the Connie.
Nacelles will sit higher over the saucer and there is only a couple of decks in the neck. Connie must have around ten decks.
The secondary hull is shorter too so the nacelles sit more forward making this a slightly harder target for any whiley Klingon or Romulan.
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
Atlacatl comparison.
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG
I won't sat the registry or name yet but I will say I will use the grey set of decals.

Last 3 pics I took upside down, I have tried turning them but they still appear here like so. If you click on them they will be up right.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Fri May 11, 2018 12:02 am

mophius wrote:Last 3 pics I took upside down, I have tried turning them but they still appear here like so. If you click on them they will be up right.
No, they still show up upside down :P

This is an interesting bash. I'll have to try it myself.
mophius wrote:The secondary hull is shorter too so the nacelles sit more forward making this a slightly harder target for any whiley Klingon or Romulan.
Yeah, AP told me how hard it was to shorten the hull. It caused all sorts of issues for the drawing program. I can only do squares and simple shapes, so I have no idea what he did to resolve it
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Alternate Paradigms
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Alternate Paradigms » Fri May 11, 2018 1:19 am

Aye. It was a pain to shorten the engineering hull, but managed to do it. Several good things came out of it as I learned a couple of new tricks along the way.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Fri May 11, 2018 6:03 am

Alternate Paradigms wrote:Aye. It was a pain to shorten the engineering hull, but managed to do it. Several good things came out of it as I learned a couple of new tricks along the way.
And, of course, now you have the new parts, ship designs are popping into my head all the time.
I have the one above, Light cruiser
Saladin
Dreadnought
Akula
I may be able to get a Constellation out of them too and there is one with a single nacelle below the saucer and a sensor pod above which I can't find a name for.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Fri May 11, 2018 10:08 am

Crazy Eddie has it as the J Edgar class.

J Edgar

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Sat May 12, 2018 11:04 pm

Wife was out tonight so I got to the bench/dining table to get some work done.
First up was the Refit. I only had the two outer decals on the nacelles to put on. I did notice some curling on the other decals though and have given them a dash of Microset and pressed with a damp cloth. If they are back like that tomorrow then I will break out the PVA glue to hold them.
DSC_0042.JPG
DSC_0041.JPG
I then moved on to the AMT K't'inga from the Cadet series kit. Clean up was done months ago so I glued the body together and did the same with the neck clamped to hold together tight. Neck wasn't too bad just one bit on either side of the bulb to fill in. I used Liquid green from Citadel.
Body was a bit more gappy on the join even though i had glue oozing out which had to be mopped before it marred the surface. I didn't clamp but I did fill with Liquid green again. Sanding will occur next time.
DSC_0040.JPG
My light cruiser got some putty to fill the gaps a few nights ago and tonight I worked on sanding to get it ready for primer. I worked my way from the nacelle to pylon joins first without a problem.
Saucer to neck went ok. But... Secondary to neck was the big problem. Getting in there was a pain. and just when I was nearly finished I pressed a little to hard and the epoxy gave way. It was a clean break at the neck to secondary join. Well, it was just a glue malfunction and I think I know why. The nozzle on my epoxy double syringe was blocked on one side so I just had a weak joint. All sorted a glue is curing now. I put a little extra on so it oozed out of the join a bit. I will trim that back then primer to see what happens.
DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0045.JPG

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Alternate Paradigms
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Alternate Paradigms » Mon May 14, 2018 12:49 am

Yeah, I can see how the Akula could be made with the existing parts. As for the Constellation, I had an idea for a new kit, along with an Excelsior type. Again, it's dependent on sales and interest

Return to “1/2500”