Klingon D11 Duet .

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Klingon D11 Duet .

Post by NoKhando » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:16 pm

As I was waiting for the first coat of paint to dry , and it's been a quiet day here..

ImageKlingon D11

Mostly scratchbuilt with the command sections and warpdrives from some playworn Johnny Lightning toys .
I deviated from the published FASA design because hardly a single dimension correlates between the front side and top views of the plans . Mine are a bit of a compromise .

ImageKlingon D11

Needs another base coat of paint yet .

ImageKlingon D11 by on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Hqu946]Image
Klingon D11 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152638349@N03/] on Flickr

More to come (if you can stand such ugliness :shock: ) when I get more slap and decals on them .
Last edited by NoKhando on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Klingon D11 Duet .

Post by Jason Abbadon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Very cool- the old FASA "One armed bandit".

NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by NoKhando » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Yeah . I thought I'd build two as it's too dismal a destroyer to go out on its own .. ;)

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm

I was never keen on this ship but I give a lot of props to people who make this design look good. Extra brownie points to you for scratchbuilding this sucker. Question: I thought this ship also had an impulse engine housing/shuttlebay/whatever this bulge's supposed to be:

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by NoKhando » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm

The way interpreted it , the block under the wing is the impulse/auxiliary power unit . The actual thrusters are just above it in the hull . I haven't decided on the shuttlebay location yet , but there's the vast acres of its rear end for that . :lol:

The Original drawings .
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/ ... thdlan.jpg

Look at the front view and wonder where the hell those "ears" on the command bridge sprung from ?

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:08 am

I deviated from the published FASA design because hardly a single dimension correlates between the front side and top views of the plans . Mine are a bit of a compromise .
Yea, FASA was infamous for that. Three views that were three DIFFERENT views. As much as I am fond of the old Dog they could not draw to save their skin.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Yeah, the "earmuffs" from the fore view are pretty lame.

I honestly think this would look great with Ktinga details- which are doable via decaling.

Instead of a destroyer, I think this works FAR better as an assualt ship/shuttle carrier.
You could make the entirety of the main hull a cavernous hangar bay....
Help, if you flattened the command pod on the bottom, you could make the whole ship land- and that cavernous hangar could deploy tanks and hundreds of shock troops!

As. Destroyer, it's beyond pointless- it's underpowered, undergunned and it's got a HUGE target profile!
Just... enormous. It's a torpedo magnet.
Might as well paint a giant bullseye on that dorsal side.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Jason Abbadon wrote:As. Destroyer, it's beyond pointless- it's underpowered, undergunned and it's got a HUGE target profile!
Just... enormous. It's a torpedo magnet.
Might as well paint a giant bullseye on that dorsal side.
Thank you! Good to know I'm not the only one who had the same thoughts.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by NoKhando » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:52 pm

From a gamers viewpoint it certainly presents a "challenge" . Not everything in the FASA book is meant to be invincible .

If you don't mind , I prefer my Klingons smooth ( Starships , Foreheads , and Talking :klingon: ) .

There is that illustration in the book that looks to be an uprated version with K'tinga parts so there's a precedent . Go for it , she's pretty much slabs of plasticard , telescoped tube to form the hull and great gobs of filler . ;)

I see the D11 as an abandoned project . The completed hulls forced into a role for which she wasn't suited . What was she meant to be ? No idea . Some kind of pod carrier like the Federation tug ? Putting the command gubbins over to one side gives whatever is under the wing a clear line of site . Through-deck carrier ? Superweapon ?

We'll never know . :cry:

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:45 pm

There could also be a joined D11 with the 'other' side to make a new type of ship. It would be reminiscent of the Norway with the gap between the rearward sections and maybe a Vor'cha type head.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Return to “1/2500”