Intrepid class Refit

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Intrepid class Refit

Post by dJiPi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:17 am

With the release of the R.M. Voyager (Intrepid Class) I have decided to built my O.S. kit as an Intrepid Refit.
D13B8B23-0748-4FC7-845E-99748CB25A60.jpeg
I hope I will be able to correctly fit the warp nacelles and align them .... (MVM kit)

I will have to source a more modern bridge module (that’s why I would like somebody to release bridge modules from various eras, a sovereign type would be nice ;-)
dJiPi the froggy

dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Intrepid class Refit

Post by dJiPi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Glued the pylons (warp nacelles are just dry fitted)
8A7293B5-4806-4152-923D-8511EA8BEAB7.jpeg
next step: pour as much as possible Zap-a-gap to strengthen the fitting,
then .... sanding the connection !
dJiPi the froggy

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:47 pm

I like that but maybe with slightly shorter pylons. Maybe so the nacelles are level with the sides of the saucer.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:58 pm

The warp nacelles should be, I hope ;-), just above the saucer so the bussard collectors are not masked by the saucer.
I will have to source and add some impulse drives as well, I would like to fit them on the saucer (and not on the pylons) but their exhausts might be on the way of the pylons, still thinking about it...
dJiPi the froggy

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 pm

I would get rid of the straight section by the hull since you are adding impulse engines. The pylons look "tacked on", they don't flow. I would go for a clean angle from the hull, and move them forward a bit. But that's me.

I think the intrepid is a nice looking hull, but size 8 ship size 5 nacelles.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:41 pm

I like this idea. It'll be something for me to consider if the Intrepid I have for sale doesn't sell.

As for getting a more "modern" bridge, a trick RogueWolf and other kitbashers like to do is to use is to cut out the bridge module from another model and use it here. If you don't want to go down that road, look at your spare parts and see if there's a cap you can use that sort of fits the era. If that doesn't work either, then make a mold of the Intrepid bridge and cast your own
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi E.G.,
I have 2 sovereign waiting for kit bashing, I think I’ll cut out the bridge module from one of them (and maybe the impulse drives) then re-cast these parts but I need to find/order silicone and resin from à French supplier ....
dJiPi the froggy

Resin-Modeller
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Resin-Modeller » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:16 pm

A good trick I found when wanting to clone a part, is use modelling clay like plastersine to make a non residual mould, and then use soft clay (or resin) to fill it.

Presto, cloned part, saves destroying models or harvesting parts although they will need a clean up and potential patching if you get air bubbles whilst doing it.

Adam,
RESIN MODELLER

1/2500 and 1/1400 Scale Star Trek Modeller. New Models monthly.
Full listings can be found here and are dispatched across the globe!

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:47 pm

dJiPi wrote:Hi E.G.,
I have 2 sovereign waiting for kit bashing, I think I’ll cut out the bridge module from one of them (and maybe the impulse drives) then re-cast these parts but I need to find/order silicone and resin from à French supplier ....
Resin-Modeller wrote:A good trick I found when wanting to clone a part, is use modelling clay like plastersine to make a non residual mould, and then use soft clay (or resin) to fill it.

Presto, cloned part, saves destroying models or harvesting parts although they will need a clean up and potential patching if you get air bubbles whilst doing it.

Adam,
Borrowing from Adam/Resin Modeller's post, I sometimes use Aves putty if I don't want to mix up a batch of resin. Also, if you don't want to cut out the bridge module and you're not going to use the captain's yacht part, I know a certain modeler who likes to use the yacht as a bridge module:

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 pm

Resin-Modeller wrote:A good trick I found when wanting to clone a part, is use modelling clay like plastersine to make a non residual mould, and then use soft clay (or resin) to fill it.

Adam,
I do this when needed. One does not need to mix a huge batch of resin. I've done eyedroppers full..
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “1/2500”