U.S.S. Cartier

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
ReyDawg
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

U.S.S. Cartier

Post by ReyDawg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:26 am

U.S.S. Cartier
NCC-1534

Hello all,
Here is the Northtrek Creations Lewis and Clark-Class exploration vessel.
IMG_2044.JPG
Dorsal view. USS Cartier NCC-1534
The beige resin was easy to clean up with little flash and one or two bubbles that needed filled. I used Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty (BD44) for the first time and liked the ease of dispensing, workability, and easy clean-up.
IMG_2042.JPG
Yes, this vessel is a bit larger than a US quarter!
The kit contained the entire vessel with a separate deflector dish. I assembled the model after prep and washing in Woolite in cold water. I primed with three light coats of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer L (Light Gray, #87064), from the spray can.
IMG_2054.JPG
Port-foward view. The kit decals were very easy to use.
I top coated the entire model with three light coats of Model Master Custom Spray Enamel Camouflage Gray #1933 (FS 36622), from a spray can.
IMG_2050.JPG
Ventral, rear view. The navigation lights came as decals, but I used dots of Tamiya clear-colored paint.
I picked out details, using Model Master and Tamiya acrylic paints. I used equal parts of color and Future and applied the mix using a brush, producing a nice smooth finish. I liked the coppery color that Del used on the Bussard collectors of his new TOS Federation vessels. The paint is Tamiya Color Metallic Brown (X-34), and I think it looks more reddish like a dark copper. I painted the deflector dish Model Master Steel (#4679) so the color would not clash with the Metallic Brown.
IMG_2048.JPG
Dorsal, forward view. I like the Tamiya X-34 Metallic Brown for the Bussard collectors. Thanks for the suggestion, Del!
I used the decals that came with the kit, 39 of them. I cut some of them apart for easier handling, such as the long strip of windows that wraps around the edge of the saucer. They were easy to handle and responded to Model Master Decal Solvent #2145.
IMG_2015.JPG
Ventral, forward view. The navigational deflector dish was a separate part.
I used medium and dark gray (homemade) washes to detail recesses. I scraped black and brown chalk onto a palette and mixed with distilled water to lightly weather the ship. The images make the weathering a bit darker than in reality. I used a dedicated brush that has slightly separated bristles. This made the appearance of panel lines on the nacelles, a nice effect.
IMG_2025.JPG
Rear view. Impulse deck.
I named the ship USS Cartier, NCC-1534 after the French explorer. Here is a bit of research I found on him.

Jacques Cartier (1491-1557)—a French navigator—was sent by King Francis I to explore the northern lands, the northeast coast of North America. The king ordered Cartier to retrieve gold and spices and find a water passage to Asia. In 1534, Cartier made his first voyage to North America with two ships and 61 men. Cartier investigated the west coast of Newfoundland, discovered Prince Edward Island, and sailed through the Gulf of St. Lawrence, past Anticosti Island.

This model is a little gem, literally. Compare the size of the ship with the quarter. This ship paints up into a beautiful and unmistakably TOS vessel. I had a fun and relaxing time completing it.

Please enjoy the images. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

ReyDawg

ProfArturo
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: U.S.S. Cartier

Post by ProfArturo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:37 am

Lovely little thing, you must have a steady hand!

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 am

I do like this little ship, it was one of my favourites to build/paint. Ok so there was only the deflector to put on but it was such a joy to do.
Your detailing is great and really brings out the detail of the kit.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Excellent work, ReyDawg! It's a fine looking ship
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by TrekMD » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:00 am

Tiny but a cool design!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

Return to “1/2500”