50x50=2500, 7 Scratch (pic heavy)

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

50x50=2500, 7 Scratch (pic heavy)

Post by slawton » Fri May 18, 2018 5:42 pm

50 Years, 50 (even more) Models, 2500 Scale...
7 Year Itch! (custom/kitbash builds)
  • 2001 Space Station V
Subject to Change, Remainder To Be Announced

Legend / Color Guide
Red: Not Started, Missing Some/All to Complete
Orange: Either Not Started & Have Everything or Started but Missing Some
Yellow: In Progress
Yellow/Green: Assembled
Green: Cleaned & Primed
Green/Blue: Painted
Bluish: Finished (Decaled & Weathered if applicable)
Blue: Posted
Last edited by slawton on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50x50=2500, 7 (pic heavy)

Post by slawton » Fri May 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Maybe a bit premature, but please indulge me.

These are builds that likely are newer going to be created in the Sacred Scale, so I'm going to scratchbuild them out of resin, plastic, wood or whatever else I can find/think of. Some of the finished ones may get pushed onto another one of my lists. I'll be announcing them after the fact to give a little mystery and let you guess what I'm making during the progress pictures and/or clues. Some will be pretty simple, while others will become quite a project. I will make multiples of some of them.

Stay tuned (hopefully I'll get one going pretty regularly).

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50x50=2500, 7 Scratch (pic heavy)

Post by slawton » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:48 am

I made an inquiry on another thread regarding paper models. Here's the beginning of Space Station V first seen almost finished with some construction in 2001 and finished in 2010:
ss5-initial.jpg
I found this online (although the instructions are in German - hello google translate!). I resized it (60%??) to be 12cm in diameter/300m in sacred scale. I didn't necessarily start on the beginning step, but I'm trying to feel my way through to see what parts will require reinforcement (so far just paper, but will likely add additional support). Probably not the best choice (over 300 parts, reduced size, etc.) for a first try at a paper model, but I have a couple of Shapeways printed 2001 universe ships that it would look nice against.

Here's a screencap with it still undergoing construction:
Class.jpg
Class.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 209 times
Last edited by slawton on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Introduction

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 am

AWESOME to see your progress, SLawton!
Mixed Media and Pepakura/Papierkrafterien for the win! :D
that's coming together very nicely.
I especially appreciate the folds on the hangar-bay and the 'core pylon'/ 'centerspoke of the wheel"

It looks like you've used thicker cardstock, ~210GSM thereabouts,
beats the pants off of 80-100GSM.
for your 'core pylon', that's quite sturdy,

will you be making one 'as completed', or
one in 'partial construction' like in the screencap?

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:25 pm

For anyone that might be interested, here is the Space Station V paper model instructions translated into English:

1) alle bauteile sorgfaltig aussschneiden: Carefully cut out all components
2) vorgang wiederholen mit den teilen: repeat the process with the parts (this is used a lot!)
teil 17 und 18 mit hilfe von teil 19 und 21 zu einem ring verkleben: Part 17 and 18 with the help of part 19 and 21 to stick a ring.
Achtung: teil 18-22 liegen auben, auf der bedruckten seite: Attention: Part 18-22 are out of print, on the printed side.
Die roten und grunen markierungen mussen ubereinstimmen: The red and green marks must match
3) die stobkanten mussen an den 2 ecken ubereinstimmen: the edges must match the 2 corners
die schwarzen punkte durfen nicht drekt aneinandergrenzen: the black dots should not be adjacent to each other
4) die stobkanten von teil 24 und 26 mussen mit einer ecke von teil 17 und 18 und auch mit teil 27 und 28 ubereinstimmen: the edges of parts 24 and 26 must coincide with a corner of part 17 and 18 and also part 27 and 28
5) die pfeile auf den teilen 61 und 62, sowie 67 und 68 mussen in gleiche richtung weisen: the arrows on the sections 61 and 62, as well as 67 and 68 must point in the same direction
6) teil 72 mit teil 71 zu ener rohre verkleben: glue part 72 with part 71 to a tube
die pfeile auf allen diesen rohren zeigen immer zur mitte der station: The arrows on all these pipes always point to the center of the station
7) die sk mussen mit den gelben markierungen auf teil 61 ubereinstimmen: the sk must match the yellow markings on part 61
8) die teile 101 bis 108 erganzen. Die stobkanten haben die glieche ausrichtung wie die rohren: Add parts 101 to 108. The edges have the same orientation as the pipes
10) den auberen rand von teil 33 mit teil 36 umwickeln. Teil 36 muss bundig mit der aubenkante von teil 33 abschileben: Wrap the outer edge of part 33 with part 36. Part 36 must be abutted flush with the outer edge of part 33.
11) das komplette teil in die innenseite von teil 59 kleben: glue the complete part into the inside of part 59
12) teil 57 innen in teil 61 einkleben: glue part 57 inside in part 61
Dabei den streifen bundig an der aubenkante aufwickeln: While doing so, wind the strip flush on the outer edge
wichtig! die teille 117 bis 120 und 88, 90, 92, 94 nur lose auf die rohren stecken: important! Place the parts 117 to 120 and 88, 90, 92, 94 loosely on the pipes
noch nicht verkleben: not stick together yet
die vier kleinen klebelaschen z.B. an teil 177 mussen auben sein und zur mitte zeigen: the four small adhesive pockets e.g. Part 177 must be open and center out
13) die teile 117 bis 120 mit dem ring verkleben: glue the parts 117 to 120 together with the ring
dabei noch nicht mit den rohren verkleben, mit anderen worten das kreuz is noch beweglich: do not stick with the tubes, in other words the cross is still movable
jetzt das kreuz mittig ausrichten und mit den 4 kleinen klebelaschen an z.B. teil 117 verkleben: now align the crosswise center with the 4 small adhesive tabs on e.g. glue part 117 together
dann teil 88 daruberschieben und verkleben: Then slide over part 88 and glue
14) die teile 125 bis 128 in den ring kleben: glue the parts 125 to 128 into the ring
15) die teile 133, 134, 138 und 139 spater so anordnen, dass die schwarzen kreise nicht genau aneinandergrenzen: arrange the parts 133, 134, 138 and 139 later so that the black circles do not exactly adjoin one another
16) die teile 133 bis 156 in den ring kleben: glue the parts 133 to 156 in the ring
teil 89 in der mitte zusammenkleben und an den ring kleben: Glue part 89 together in the middle and stick to the ring
ebenso die teile 300 bis 307 erganzen: as well as the parts 300 to 307 replenish
17) teil 173 in der mitte nach unten zusammenklappen und verkleben: fold part 173 down in the middle and glue it together
die drei rechtecke zu einem block zusammenfalten und verkelben: fold the three rectangles into a block and tangle
18) teil 157 in der mittle nach oben (unbedruckte seite) zusammenklappen und verkleben: ld up part 157 in the middle upwards (unprinted side) and glue together
19) die teile 173 und 157 zusammenkleben, dabei auf die pfeile sie mussen in die gleiche richtung zeigen: Glue the parts 173 and 157 together, pointing to the arrows they must point in the same direction
dann die seitenteile gemab skizze hochklappen und verkleben: then fold up the side parts in the sketch and glue them together
20) die rechtecke von teil 213 bis 292 an den enden umklappen: fold the rectangles from part 213 to 292 at the ends
jeweils zweian den oberen enden zusammenkleben, unten noch offen lassen: Glue together two upper ends and leave them open at the bottom
21) teil 213 um die rohren herum kleben, oben und unten mussen die rechtecke genau in einer linie verlaufen: Part 213 stick around the pipes, the rectangles at the top and bottom must be exactly in line
nun die teil 157 und 175 auf die enden der rechtecke kleben: Now glue the parts 157 and 175 on the ends of the rectangles
eventuell muss teil 157 und 175 geringsfugig gekurtz werden, damit sie in den zwischenraum passen: you may need to part 157 and 175 in order to fit into the interspace
22) nun beide ringe miteinander verbinden, die stobkanten mussen ubereinstimmen: now connect both rings, the bump edges must match
23) teil 299 gemab den skizzen zusammenfalten und verkleben: fold up part 299 according to the sketches and stick together
24) teil 299 in die weibe innenseite von teil 293 kleben: glue part 299 into the white inside of part 293
25) damit ist die raumstation fertig: this is the space station finished
Tip) wer mochte, kann das model mit sehr dunnen drahten verfeinern: if you want, you can refine the model with very thin wires
benotigt werden 24 stuck mit einem durchmesser von0.3 mm und einer lange von ca. 66 millitern: 24 pieces with a diameter of 0.3 mm and a length of approx. 66 mm are required

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:41 pm

kobayashimaru wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 am
It looks like you've used thicker cardstock...
So far, just paper. Since it is hollow, I may be adding material (cardboard, plastic straw, Styrofoam, etc.) after the fact to increase structural integrity.
kobayashimaru wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 am
will you be making one 'as completed', or one in 'partial construction' like in the screencap?
I'm going for the "as completed" since this is my 1st foray into paper models, but I hope to do an "under construction" project someday (not necessarily this station).

You mentioned lighting, but I'm not that ambitious for this project. I think I'll be putting an overall gray coat (the paper is white and the black lines are a sharp contrast) and maybe try out some reflective tape to simulate windows.

Introduction

Return to “1/2500”