50x50=2500, 8 Light (pic heavy)

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

50x50=2500, 8 Light (pic heavy)

Post by slawton » Fri May 18, 2018 5:55 pm

50 Years, 50 (even more) Models, 2500 Scale...
See the Light! (in 8)
Eight_Light.jpg
Eight_Light.jpg (1.22 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Star Trek
  • Fed Constitution
    Fed Refit
    Fed Excelsior
    Fed Miranda
    Fed Ambassador
    Fed Galaxy
    Romulan BoP
    Klingon D7
    Klingon Ktinga
    Card Galor
    Deep Space 9
Misc
  • "Star Wars" Imperial Star Destroyer
    "Space 1999" Moon Base Alpha
    "Space 1999" Main Mission
Subject to Change, Remainder To Be Announced

Legend / Color Guide
Red: Not Started, Missing Some/All to Complete
Orange: Either Not Started & Have Everything or Started but Missing Some
Yellow: In Progress
Yellow/Green: Assembled
Green: Cleaned & Primed
Green/Blue: Painted
Bluish: Finished (Decaled & Weathered if applicable)
Blue: Posted
Last edited by slawton on Mon May 28, 2018 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50x50=2500, 8 (pic heavy)

Post by slawton » Fri May 18, 2018 5:59 pm

This will be a long-term project to complete lighted builds. I'll probably go into greater detail to help/encourage others light their own builds.

I'm guessing I'll start with the MPC Moonbase Alpha Main Mission, with some modifications to make it more screen accurate...

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50x50=2500, 8 Light (pic heavy)

Post by slawton » Mon May 21, 2018 12:53 am

Here's a picture I posted previously in another thread showing some inaccuracy observations I made about the Main Mission portion of the MPC Moonbase Alpha kit from a completed build:
MM_model10.png
This is the model floor plan:
OriginalFloorPlan.jpg
OriginalFloorPlan.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
I did some work over the weekend using parts from a 2nd kit, primarily related to expanding Commander Koenig's office which is connected to the Main Mission:
Progress.jpg
I expanded the entry curve using pieces for the short flat sections and a 2nd kit curved wall section (cut vertically short and removed one panel from each end to reduce the overall length). The sunken floor was added by using a portion of the 2nd kit's floor. Some of the Main Mission desks were cut out, placed side-by-side, sanded and a rectangular piece added to the bottom to create 2 couches. The office chairs and walls can be used from the 2nd kit.

Introduction

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Mon May 21, 2018 2:53 pm

I don't remember enough about the layout to comment. I will be watching.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Mon May 21, 2018 3:47 pm

I took some screen captures. Here's one showing an angled shot looking towards the globe corner (in my expanded progress picture, it would be from the bottom right to the top left of Koenig's office), which includes the stairs, sunken floor, couches, chairs, table, etc. which are missing in the MPC kit:
MM31.png
The next is approximately the reverse direction (top/middle left towards bottom right/middle):
MM24.png
The next is angled from the globe towards the bottom left corner of the office (noticed the curved walls similar to what is seen in Main Mission):
MM23.png
In the Commander's office, the lighting is more of a dirty yellow, where in Main Mission it is a bright white. Since my 2 kits came in different colored plastic (white & light gray), I intend to use white in Main Mission and light gray in the Commander's office to accommodate the lighting.

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Mon May 28, 2018 1:13 am

Here's some weekend updates:
update2.jpg
The left half of the floor is Main Mission. There are 4 types of figures, which I have 6 copies of each. I will need to cut up/reassemble limbs to create additional variations of figures. There's unmodified desks and chairs, but I will add an additional desk (see the white one) on a turntable. Next, there's a custom white staircase build in-progress with a rectangular cutout on the attaching floor above. Below that it the original zig-zag wall with an attempted accuratized wall in progress below. Some of the computer panel walls were cut out and turned into a the comm tower to be in the bottom right of the commander's office. Also in his office is the new table with 4 surrounding tables/trash cans (sprue to the rescue!). The commander's office stairs have boxes at the wall ends (made from the door of the Main Mission west wall) plus the corner where they meet (using one of square boxes attached to a Main Mission desk). I also filled in all the floor holes in the commander's office and the center connecting hallway.

The Main Mission walls will be unchanged except possibly the computer panels. All of the commander's office walls have changed (since the room floorplan was changed from the original model). The original east wall will now be the south wall (may modify 1 panel to put in a narrow door). The north wall will consist of the Main Mission west wall's bottom part (where the floor goes from elevated to sunken) plus the Main Mission north wall (4 window panels with one filled in). Finally, the commander's east wall will consist of the remainder of the Main Mission's north wall (with the 1 remaining window filled in), plus the west wall's top part, plus TBD).

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Thu May 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Here is a similar ambitious project from another modeler. I may "steal" some ideas, although there are already some things I see differently.

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 pm

I've been away from the bench for a while (vacation, July 4th, honey-do's, etc.), but I got back to this kit:
Progress.jpg
I used black sharpie to cover areas that I didn't want light to bleed through. A number of the walls were put together/modified, including blocking out windows, adding extra shelves/panels, adding a door to Koenig's office, etc. I glued much of the ceiling superstructures and finished the stairs (which altered some of the balcony geometry, where the support poles will go, etc.). For the balcony, there is an underneath layer because I will add some ceiling lights to it. I also placed the model's original floor for Koenig's office to show how much more has been added. Rivet counters would notice some inaccuracies, but I settled on what would be practical (also, this has been more work than I anticipated).
A close up of some of the light blocking:
LightBlocking.jpg
LightBlocking.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 599 times
I will be adding color soon and start assembly of the overall structure. Also need to do the furniture (note that there have been several re-configurations during the run of the show) & the people.

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:13 pm

While I don't plan to go as far as here, I will need to add some additional building area to the model for lighting - probably a couple of floors on the command tower rather than all the way to the moon's surface.

I am considering cutting off the rounded parts of the Main Mission and gluing them to the ceiling superstructure and also connecting to the Commander's office ceiling to have just 1 part be the "lid" ("Here's the church, here's the steeple -open it up and see the people!"). I'm not sure how that will fly with the second-level balcony and how clean I can make the seam or it the seam matters with the ceiling superstructure obscuring the view anyways.

Any thoughts/ideas before I make a cut?

Introduction

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Here's a picture showing the progression of the computer wall:
ComputerWall.jpg
Initially the wall is equally wavy up & down. It should really be 2 panels up then a drop down. So I cut out the old panels and put in new double panels which I reinforced with sprue on the back end. Then filled the gaps, minimal paint (since most of the wall is covered and/or obscured by the panels/balcony, finally the computer panels.

Not sure its worth all this trouble when its barely seen, but as a modeler, I will KNOW its there (kind of like C3PO's silver leg in Star Wars - I didn't notice it, but once I saw it I couldn't forget)!

Introduction

Return to “1/2500”