50x50=2500, 11 SB/SBY (pic heavy)

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

50x50=2500, 11 SB/SBY (pic heavy)

Post by slawton »

50 Years, 50 (even more) Models, 2500 Scale...
Star Blazers / Space Battleship Yamato

Comet Empire
  • Twin Deck Carrier x2 (Bandai)
  • Missile Cruiser x3 (Bandai)
Galman
  • Battlecarrier x3 (Bandai)
  • Battleship x4 (Bandai)
Subject to Change, Remainder To Be Announced

Legend / Color Guide
Red: Not Started, Missing Some/All to Complete
Orange: Either Not Started & Have Everything or Started but Missing Some
Yellow: In Progress
Yellow/Green: Assembled
Green: Cleaned & Primed
Green/Blue: Painted
Bluish: Finished (Decaled & Weathered if applicable)
Blue: Posted
Last edited by slawton on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50x50=2500, 11 SB/SBY (pic heavy)

Post by slawton »

When I announced #12 (Battlestar Galactica) after #5, you must have thought what happened to 6-11. Well I had plans and I just posted the lot of them (of course it will take some time to finish).

Anyhow, Star Blazers was a cartoon I thought was pretty cool when I was a kid. It had lots of spaceships battling it out, with our hero ship having a super-weapon and virtually a character on its own. Bandai has made a lot of these kits fairly inexpensively (as was mentioned as good fodder for kit bashing), but not many in the Sacred Scale. A couple of the larger ones are 1/2400 and some of the mini ones are sorta close.

Introduction
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50x50=2500, 11 SB/SBY (pic heavy)

Post by slawton »

Well I saw some episodes of a revamped series on some website (kissanime??) a while ago, so I splurged and got the DVD to Starblazer 2199 & 2202. 2199 is a retelling of the classic series trip to Iscandar to save the Earth from planet bombing done by the Gamilons. 2202 is a retelling of the trip to Telezart warning of the Comet Empire threat. Generally they were an improvement in quality (how could it not since the originals were from the early 70s) without trampling what was like-able in the original. Some of the more childish/silly things were removed, so I liked it better comparatively as an adult (as opposed to more common disappointing remakes).

You have all the original characters but the names are the original Japanese (Kodai vs Wildstar, Okita vs Avatar, Yamato vs Argo, etc.) and a few new ones. There are more ladies, who are almost all knock-outs wearing skin-tight clothing shown with lots of male-pleasing views (very common in anime now, but not so much in the original). Most of the ships are the same shape, but they are different sizes (mostly larger) and quantity (generally more) - now Bandai has newer/more kits to sell! The main plot is roughly the same, but there are newer, more compelling sub-plots (I would say moreso in 2199 where 2202 was somewhat confusing/puzzling).

An example of the ships (where size information on the original series provided by Starblazers Fleet Battle System are smaller at 270m, 72m, 72m, 72m respectively):
Gamilons.jpg
While admittedly there are some eye-rolling aspects to the show, Starblazers/Space Battleship Yamato did influence sci-fi to follow, including Star Wars and Babylon 5: Crusade (Capt. Gideon commanding super-ship with super weapon on a time-limited quest to save Earth from a deadly plague).

Introduction

Return to “1/2500”