Enterprise NX-01 Refit (by Cubey Terra) VOTE!

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: 1/1000 Scale Enterprise NX-01 Refit - WIP

Post by Cubey Terra »

After a bit of puttying and sanding (I detest sanding! :evil: ), I've brushed on a primer coat. I'll need to retouch later after I glue the saucer halves together, but I'd prefer to have it at least primed now.

In the meantime, I've worked on the larger clear parts: the deflector dish backing and the impulse exhausts. Maybe I'm overusing the bronze highlights, but I really like how it looks against blue, red, and hull white.

Professor Theophilus
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Professor Theophilus »

This looking good. I have the regular release but I am going to have to pick up this kit.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

I glued the saucer halves together. There were some disappointing gaps in the tail booms, but otherwise it's a decent fit.

And in the next picture, I've finished putting and sanding the saucer and now I'm painting lowlights into the panel grooves. Yes, LOWlights. It's moments like this when I wonder if I really know what I'm doing.

The answer is almost certainly "no". I'm just making it up as I go along.

The great thing about doing a non-canon ship from a kit is that I really can make up any paint scheme I like. I'm enjoying not having to pore over reference photos this time.
ironman150
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by ironman150 »

Low-lights. Interesting. I can't wait to see how this comes out. I may steal it for adding detail to my Wizkids starships. I can see it working well on the ENT-D.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

They're only lowlights in comparison with the light grey that I'll use as the base coat. This isn't going to look like the show. I don't think it should.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

Quick update: I haven't made any progress due to other things going on that keep me from painting. Hoping to get back to it eventually.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

So my technique for pre-painting lowlights into the panel lines like I did for my previous three models really really won't work here. It's just too darned small! :o That's a shame, because I spent quite a bit of effort on that. But this is also a learning experience. It's my smallest model so far.

So as of today, I painted over everything with only two coats of the base colour, which is exactly the same as my Reliant and NCC-1701 refit.

I expect I'll have to learn how to do a wash for those panel lines at the end. Learning!
ironman150
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by ironman150 »

oh! Too bad about that. Pin wash time? Looking good! what grey do you use?
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

ironman150 wrote:oh! Too bad about that. Pin wash time? Looking good! what grey do you use?
I have no idea what a pin wash is, but it sounds like it might hurt. :)

I mix my own greys — four shades from a very light grey base to a very dark grey for small details. I'd do more, but I'm cheap and lazy.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

I'm now layering up the details on the top of the saucer section. I think I may have put too many layers on the bridge superstructure — it's kind of globbing up and losing detail now.

It's weird not seeing the panel lines yet. I just have to trust that I won't totally ruin everything when I add them at the end.

Return to “Newbie Contest Entries”