1/350 Refit Enterprise WITHDRAWN

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
djeckhart
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

1/350 Refit Enterprise WITHDRAWN

Postby djeckhart » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Okay. I'm planning to build a 1:350 Refit Enterprise. Instead of decals or lifelike colors, I'll be painting the entire thing flat black.

I'll probably use a couple of shinier spots to create some contrast here and there. I think it'll be a cool look; surface detail will be strongly emphasized and I won't have to struggle with maintaining an illusion of scale. On the other hand, there won't be any decals under which to hide my sins of styrene. I also have a wild scheme to paint it like a suede hot rod, maybe even some pinstripes. We'll see.

I had a few hours last night when my wife took the girls out. Because everything is going to be the same color, and constraints being what they are, I just started GLUEING ALL THE THINGS. I tried to get as many things going in parallel as I could. Here are some shots of my work so far.

MiseEnPLace.JPG

Shuttlebay.JPG

Impulse.JPG

BCDeck.JPG

Up next is final assembly of the nacelles. Then I'm going to hafta get some paint. The shuttlebay, shuttles, arboretum and officer's lounge all need to be painted black, black as night, black as coal, before I can continue assembly.
Last edited by djeckhart on Thu May 01, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Theophilus
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: No more will my green E go turn a deeper blue.

Postby Professor Theophilus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:49 am

I would suggest a lighter color for the interior. Maybe a gray. Or a gray trimmed in black. But if you MUST go with a black interior maybe some red trim or highlight to give a sort of "condition red/red alert" appearance. Something to provide a little contrast. Imagine being inside a ship with an all black interior. It would be dark even with the lights on. Also if the interior is all black all those nice interior details will be lost.

djeckhart
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby djeckhart » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:33 am

I'm right there with you. I've been considering painting the three interiors light tan or maybe flat red, or maybe a few shades of grey. Like an architectural miniature. Either way, I got the top and sides of the secondary hull glued up today. I'll have to decide soon.

djeckhart
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby djeckhart » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:24 pm

I picked up some Duck Egg Blue and some Flat Black, which I'm planning to intermix until something satisfactory emerges.

Does anyone have an idea how much paint it takes to cover this thing? I'm planning to use an airbrush. I'm planning to use a dark primer, so I hope I don't have fight for coverage too much. I'm expecting something like three or four ounces before thinning? Does that sound reasonable?

djeckhart
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby djeckhart » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Here are pictures of the shuttlebay, arboretum, and officers' lounge showing my experiments with flat black and a few different shades of gray. I left the cargo area of the shuttlebay in gray primer in the hope it would brighten it up some, which it does—but not enough to make to worth detailing it.

shuttlebay-2.jpg

shuttlebay-1.jpg

With the arboretum, I thought I'd try to simulate some internal lighting with paint. (You can see the painted shadows beneath the trees). After assembling the secondary hull around it and adjusting the colors a few times I arrived at this camo gray and black combination, which, made it barely possible to make out the creek of Harlan Ellison's tears that winds about the nature path.

arboretum.jpg

So, in a fit of decisiveness, I blacked out all the windows from the inside and glued the major subassemblies together without the interiors installed.

seams-sensor-rings-1.jpg

seams-sensor-rings-2.jpg

seams-pylon-insertion.jpg
seams-pylon-insertion.jpg (108.08 KiB) Viewed 1757 times

glued-sheep-for-scale.jpg

I'm still planning to do the ship in flat black, but Orbital Drydock's aztec masks were on sale over the weekend, and now there's a set of them on its way to me. My current plan is a 5-color aztec over flat black. I also have an urge to use some BareMetal foil on the rings around the planetary sensor and bridge domes, probably because they remind me of hubcaps.

I laid a whisper-thin coat of flat black acrylic lacquer over the whole bird. From here I plan to go after it with some 400 to locate all the spots that will need filling. I'm afraid of putting too much paint on this thing and blowing the scale.

dusted-officers-lounge.jpg

dusted-pylon-insertion.jpg

dusted-saucer.jpg

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:52 pm

what ya doing with the interiors .. making them seperate dios perhaps ..

djeckhart
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby djeckhart » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:58 pm

I dunno about the interiors, they'll probably just end up bagged in the parts bin.

djeckhart
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: 1/350 Refit Enterprise

Postby djeckhart » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:50 pm

I accidentally broke the officer’s lounge window out of place. Of cource I’d already glued the saucer closed. I tried to hook it and weasel it back into place, but it just fell inside. Why yes, I would like a beer, thank you.
broken-window-1.jpg

I drilled the biggest hole I could hide under the bridge and rattled window out on to the counter where it slipped over the edge, ricocheted off the toe of my shoe, and skittered under the workbench—which is what I meant to do.
broken-window-2.jpg

I balanced the loose window on my fingertip and got it back in there.
broken-window-3.jpg

scritch-and-scratch-1.jpg

I’ve sanded down the secondary hull, nacelle pylons, and neck. I treated that thin coat of black like a guide coat and used a small firm block to try to keep flat things flat. (There are about a dozen tiny little raised panels on both sides of the secondary hull, and it was immediately apparent that working around them would just take too much time, so I let the sandpaper have ‘em. I hope that doesn’t count as a mod—t’was just laziness on my part.)
scritch-and-scratch-2.jpg

The pylon insertion points seem to give everyone fits. I had a hard time keeping all the seams square and closed. I almost have things filed back into shape now, but its easy to see how you could spend an entire day just getting these mounting bosses looking nice.
scritch-and-scratch-3.jpg

I've rescribed a few of the lines I lost on the nacelles. The seam along the tops of the nacelles were a big damn mess. The mating surfaces just don't have the same shape.
scritch-and-scratch-4.JPG

Just a couple pits and divots here and there.

Once I smudge some filler on this thing I expect to to attach the saucer—but I've managed two snap off four of the six pins that attach it to the neck. My gut says to stick with plastic cement, yet I'm wondering about grabbing more surface area with epoxy. Opinions?

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:23 pm

Opinion?

I'd say you're doing remarkably well under the circumstances. And for what it's worth- I find it's almost good to see I'm not the only one who had to contend with Murphy putting such a ship together.

After replacing the ventral navigation LED for the third time....after reopening the secondary hull for the third time...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

ironman150
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby ironman150 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Wow. Looking Good. I have one of those under my bench waiting to be assembled. Nice to see you just 'going for it'. Very Impressive.

Makes me want to do a lit one for the advanced contest later in the year. Mostly straight build plus lights.

Return to “Newbie Contest Entries”