33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy)

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: 33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy

Post by Moongrim » Sat May 28, 2016 9:16 pm

I concur with El Gato.

The difference between Science and Screwing Around- is writing things down!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sat May 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Absolutely stunning. There's some serious skill involved here, and I applaud you.

Just don't destroy the damn plans. Don't make me send a squad of rebels over there to steal 'em..... :lol:

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw » Sun May 29, 2016 3:01 am

novahobbies wrote:Just don't destroy the damn plans. Don't make me send a squad of rebels over there to steal 'em..... :lol:
The plans are quite safe from your rebel friends... :twisted:

:? ... this doesn't seem very Trek-like.

el gato wrote:...until someone comes around...
It is odd that I get so much grief over my work since I originally set out to make sure that others could come along later and build on it.

When I first started all this 9 years ago what I found was a culture of hoarding information. My background is in mathematics and the area I was doing research in only had about a half dozen people in the world working in it. Sharing was how you moved forward, so sharing seemed like the best idea here too. That is why I started including this on all my work...

I wanted to make sure that people could feel free to build on anything I presented.

I guess that was a bad idea as I've found myself being derided for sharing what I've found as self promotion.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear » Sun May 29, 2016 5:11 am

Shaw wrote:Image
Hmm... I'm not sure I remember seeing that scene in "Attack of the Clones". :lol:
Shaw wrote:
It is odd that I get so much grief over my work since I originally set out to make sure that others could come along later and build on it.

When I first started all this 9 years ago what I found was a culture of hoarding information. My background is in mathematics and the area I was doing research in only had about a half dozen people in the world working in it. Sharing was how you moved forward, so sharing seemed like the best idea here too. That is why I started including this on all my work...

I wanted to make sure that people could feel free to build on anything I presented.

I guess that was a bad idea as I've found myself being derided for sharing what I've found as self promotion.
Bad idea? No, no, of course not. Information like this should be free and easily accessible! Most likely people are jealous. Jeez, man, I'm sorry I reproached you. I didn't know. It's bad enough copping flak for sharing your work, but now we're giving you flak for wanting to destroy it. Tell you what; if we ever meet, you can kick me real hard in the shin. Would that make up for it? :)
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh » Sun May 29, 2016 5:40 am

Hi David, I actually do know what you mean as I have experienced the same strange culture while I was building a more accurate 1/650 scale model to sell through Federation models. The kit never came to fruition but many of the "Accurate Parts" TM were made available as separate add-on's for the AMT kit. I gave up in the end and just built a kit for myself (that's the one on my Avatar).

You've done great work and have gone leaps and bounds past the point that I got to. I've seen what you've done since I first saw it all those years ago and am grateful that anyone actually bothered to do the hard yards and get it to the point you are now, hah, I probably gave up on my attempts knowing that I'd never be able to hold a candle to your work! :).

Keep your masters and stuff (10 years on, and I certainly regret not keeping my master parts) ;)

Andy.

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Sun May 29, 2016 5:43 am

el gato wrote:
It isn't so much that you have to share what you've learned when you learn it. What I'm advising is that you archive your notes so that they can be shared as a reference for you or someone else when needed. In other words, don't lose the knowledge even if you choose not to share it or publish it. By destroying your notes (and molds) you're essentially burning the library of Alexandria. The knowledge is lost until someone comes around and decides to reinvent the wheel.
:goodpost: What he said. You don't need to share, but please don't destroy your work.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Sun May 29, 2016 5:48 am

Shaw wrote: I guess that was a bad idea as I've found myself being derided for sharing what I've found as self promotion.
If you caused world peace someone would bitch you are putting arms manufacturers out of business. If really does not matter what you do someone will complain. So I do as I am going to do.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sun May 29, 2016 6:54 am

Shaw wrote:
novahobbies wrote:Just don't destroy the damn plans. Don't make me send a squad of rebels over there to steal 'em..... :lol:
The plans are quite safe from your rebel friends... :twisted:

:? ... this doesn't seem very Trek-like.

Sorry to hear about the grief. Speaking for myself only, I've found your work enlightening and educational. I may not post comments, but I follow your threads. Your Phase II work was phenomenal and have inspired me to fix some of the errors with my version. When I built my 2500 version, there was contradictory info. I found your research comprehensive enough that I think it's definitive over the sources I used. So I will revisit it this year.

But back to your work. You never know what's in the future. For instance, you could be asked by the Smithsonian to assist in the restoration of the 33" version. You'll find your notes will come in handy. I'm thinking of people in our hobby who have gone on to do that kind of work.
Last edited by el gato on Tue May 31, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Sun May 29, 2016 10:06 pm

That holo may not be very Trek Like, but it'd beat the pants off of any Star Wars ship.

Vincent Van Gogh received a lot of flak during his lifetime, in fact during his entire career he sold only one painting.

Now. It's obvious he wasn't appreciated during his lifetime...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw » Mon May 30, 2016 1:35 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
andyh wrote:... I probably gave up on my attempts knowing that I'd never be able to hold a candle to your work! :).
Gosh, I hope that isn't the case. Your work inspired me, so I'd like to think that my work would inspire others in the same way.

Besides, you actually played an important part in this project.

Back in 2008 when I was thinking about building a model based on my plans, the idea of scratch building the whole thing was way too daunting considering that I hadn't built any models since the early 1990s and had almost no scratch building experience. The solution was to only scratch build a fraction of the model at a smaller scale, and the parts I didn't make myself would come from the cutaway kit (based on the late Alan Everheart's plans) and the parts you had made available. Even though I scratch built even more of the second study model, I still used some of your parts in that model.

Between inspiration from your builds and the aid of the parts you made available, I was able to put together the skill set needed to (hopefully) build this final replica. And in addition to those first two study models being important towards learning model building techniques, they helped with ironing out issues with the original plans. So in a real since you could and should take pride in anything good you see me accomplish here.

And yeah, the last thing I'd want my work to do is to discourage the person who originally inspired me from doing more work that could inspire others in the same way.
Moongrim wrote:Vincent Van Gogh received a lot of flak during his lifetime, in fact during his entire career he sold only one painting.
That is eerie... my wife and I actually watched Leonard Nimoy's Vincent a couple nights ago. :o

Return to “Misc”