Shortening the Excelsior

Scratchbuilding, kitbashing, reposing and other modifications.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Shortening the Excelsior

Post by NCC1966 »

I have an old AMT 1/1000 kit of the Excelsior starship. One of the things that always bugged me with the design of this ship is that their nacelles look excessively long to me as well the hull, specially in comparison to the saucer diameter.

So I thought on cut the nacelles and the hull making a "compact" version of it making things more proportional (in my opinion). Obviously I would call it a new non-canon class and would baptize the ship with a different name.

Here it goes a quick study that I made out of a side view I got from the Internet, reducing it in around 17% in its overall length:

Suggestions? Ideas?

:roll:
Thanks,

Yan.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Shortening the Excelsior

Post by MEATLOAFr »

if you're redesigning it, I;d say pylons closer to neck area - kinda a flimsy area for them to be sitting so far back

maybe move the attachment point to nacelles closer to front too - to keep it a little more like the refit
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

I went this way. I might actually build it. I made the Hanger the size on the same scale E-A and likewise the bridge. That secondary hull is way too thin.
1mppExcelsior-proposal.png
1mppExcelsior-proposal.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

And perhaps someone could close the danged doors on the secondary hull.

I'm guessing that all of the 'stretch' has something to do with making it look 'streamlined'. As if it's already in motion while standing still.

Ostensibly the Excelsior was supposed to be the testbed for 'Transwarp Drive' that never went anywhere after Mr. Scott's sabotage.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Thanks for the suggestions!

;)
Thanks,

Yan.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Moongrim wrote:And perhaps someone could close the danged doors on the secondary hull.
It would lower the heating bill.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Tesral wrote:
Moongrim wrote:And perhaps someone could close the danged doors on the secondary hull.
It would lower the heating bill.
and add to survivor-ability when the ship looses power
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Hossfly72 »

Long time, no posts on this topic, but I was thinking about it today. On the 1/2500 size version I have, I took a thin sheet of styrene and glued it to the bottom. That made the secondary hull a bit thicker and closed up the bottom side door, but I'm still not happy with it. I'm actually not a big fan of the Enteprise B or Excelsior, but it was in the kit so I started it. But I had a thought today. Why not extend the bottom of the hull to the rear, almost making it a full secondary hull, and then giving it the characteristic carved out rear end? The top decking could remain flat with the pylons appearing just as they are or it could be rounded off with the pylons attached similar to the way the 1701-A pylons were attached. And I think shorter nacelles would add to the aesthetics as well. Those humongous extra impulse engines also need to be deleted as far as I'm concerned. Oversized and out of place with the rest of the ship. I may try that with the next 3 piece kit I get. Now that I think about it, I also don't like the warp engines. They remind me of the Rocketeer's helmet.
Ok, guess it's time for me to kitbash an Excelsior variant/contemporary...
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi »

Hossfly72 wrote:Those humongous extra impulse engines also need to be deleted as far as I'm concerned. Oversized and out of place with the rest of the ship.
could be converted into shuttlebays with some Reliant decals ? (that's what I'm gonna do one some kitbashes, on some other models it will be the inner impulse engines that will be converted into shuttlebays).
Or you can sand them/modify them into Sovereign style impulse engine.
dJiPi the froggy
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Great ideas indeed... I put my kit for sale though as actually I dont like it too much. Perhaps if I dont have it sold who knows?

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Customizing”