Shaw's artistic endeavors

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Shaw's artistic endeavors

Post by Shaw »

Thanks guys!

TrekMD wrote:How long were you waiting?! :)
About an hour... which is why their kinda rough.

Recently I've been putting time in on my research of decal graphics used on the 33 inch Enterprise and Galileo studio models...

Click to enlarge

Still needs some work, but I feel like I'm getting closer to the final artwork.

At some point I'd love to do a model of the USS Kongo based on Thomas Sasser's model for Starship Exeter...

Click to enlarge

He did a great job on it and it was an interesting variation.
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Here something I've been playing with while bedridden for the past month...

Click to enlarge

The idea is what would plans of starship 1701 have looked like before construction started in 2243? It's a combination of my reverse engineered 1964 Jefferies plans and the work I had done on deck plans between 2008 and 2010.

It might not come to anything in the end, but it has kept me occupied.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

I hope you follow through. This would be interesting. I like the places your head takes us Shaw.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Shaw wrote:Here something I've been playing with while bedridden for the past month...
What is the egg shaped thing on the top/rear of the saucer? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Thanks guys!

I uploaded a handful of changes to my demo site. Eventually I'll make it into a final version.
slawton wrote:What is the egg shaped thing on the top/rear of the saucer? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.
I'm not sure... impulse reactor blister?

This was a feature included on both the October and November 1964 plans for the studio models, but the October plans included an alternate configuration which is what ended up on the models. Both drawings had a single impulse engine opening while the alternative with two was also part of the October plans.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Shaw wrote:
slawton wrote:What is the egg shaped thing on the top/rear of the saucer? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.
I'm not sure... impulse reactor blister?

This was a feature included on both the October and November 1964 plans for the studio models, but the October plans included an alternate configuration which is what ended up on the models. Both drawings had a single impulse engine opening while the alternative with two was also part of the October plans.
So an early version of the linear accelerator
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Yeah, pretty much.

Of course the real reason for either element was essentially as a bolt cover that would allow easy access for removing the primary hull. At first this was so the primary hull could land, but later became important in storing the 11 foot model (which was generally only assembled before going in front of the cameras).

Here is a bit more progress... mostly me playing around with interior ideas.

Click to enlarge
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

A bit more playing around... though I'm not sure there is really any need/want for another set of deck plans for the Enterprise. I'm mainly doing this to nail down the elements that will be seen in the cross section.

Click to enlarge

One aspect that I should note is that the design can receive shuttlecraft, but has no provision for storing/maintaining them. This makes the Starship class a lot like the Arleigh Burke-class destroyers where all of the ships have landing pads, but only the later versions include enclosed hangars for storage/maintenance of assigned helicopters. One could assume that the Enterprise was only retrofitted with shuttlecraft support abilities around the beginning of TOS.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Shaw wrote:A bit more playing around... though I'm not sure there is really any need/want for another set of deck plans for the Enterprise.
I dunno, Shaw. I think other online blueprints attempt to show the Production run of the Enterprise rather than the Pilot ship. I think it's great you are focusing on the first arrangement! Keep going!
Shaw wrote:One aspect that I should note is that the design can receive shuttlecraft, but has no provision for storing/maintaining them. This makes the Starship class a lot like the Arleigh Burke-class destroyers where all of the ships have landing pads, but only the later versions include enclosed hangars for storage/maintenance of assigned helicopters. One could assume that the Enterprise was only retrofitted with shuttlecraft support abilities around the beginning of TOS.
Interesting point, Sir. I was also thinking, if the Federation does, like the modern American Navy does, in that they commission a ship, bigger than the last namesake with more capabilities, and, once launched, de-commission the last model and simply transfer the history to the newer ship.

This might explain why the Production Enterprise could accommodate more Shuttlecraft and store/maintain them as well.

Food for thought!

As always, I enjoy your drawings and musings!

Keep going!

Steve
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

There was never a need for any of the blueprints. That makes them no less fun.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Trek Art”