ST Discovery Federation Ships in 1/1400

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: ST Discovery Federation Ships in 1/1400

Post by el gato »

Don't get me wrong, I liked DISC's pilot and from what I heard from others, it's only gotten better. My sense, though, is that a good portion of fans came in hating it because it didn't fit the 10-years-before-TOS visual aesthetic, weapons and other props aside. If it is revealed after the season is over that there truly was no compelling plot reason for DISC to be a prequel, a lot of producers/writers/directors are going to be kicking themselves for needlessly setting themselves up in such an astoundingly stupid fashion.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by SKO »

el gato wrote:Don't get me wrong, I liked DISC's pilot and from what I heard from others, it's only gotten better. My sense, though, is that a good portion of fans came in hating it because it didn't fit the 10-years-before-TOS visual aesthetic, weapons and other props aside. If it is revealed after the season is over that there truly was no compelling plot reason for DISC to be a prequel, a lot of producers/writers/directors are going to be kicking themselves for needlessly setting themselves up in such an astoundingly stupid fashion.
I feel like most Hollywood execs never bothered to watch TNG/DS9/VOY and to them Star Trek is always "Kirk, Spock, etc" so they underestimate just how much love there was for the sequel era, and honestly how little the current generation cares about TOS. Older fans that loved all of the old shows are the most continuity obsessed fanbase in history and thus will be perpetually irked about the prequel concept, and everyone younger doesn't have enough of a connection to Kirk and Spock et al that setting the show in that era will draw them in automatically.
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

el gato wrote:Ever get the feeling the TPTB behind Discovery could have saved themselves a lot of grief from fans if they had done two small tweaks:

1) Set DISC decades after the events from Nemesis and

2) Burnham's connection to Vulcan is with someone not named Sarek
This, right here. And it's funny you mention this, because these two exact points came up yesterday in an advertising and graphic design forum I frequent.

And, the fact is, you're absolutely right. In fact, it needn't even have to be decades after Nemesis, just as many real-time years as it's been since the film; so, 15.
Last edited by MadManMUC on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

SKO wrote:I feel like most Hollywood execs never bothered to watch TNG/DS9/VOY and to them Star Trek is always "Kirk, Spock, etc" so they underestimate just how much love there was for the sequel era
Also true. And between these three series, there are ample creative springboards upon which to build a series. We never end up knowing, for example, if there's ever been any meaningful contact between the Gamma and Delta quadrants, that could lead up to a Borg v Dominion confrontation that catches all the Alpha and Beta quadrant species in the middle. Or, we never know if Janeway's dabbling in new technologies (quantum slipstream drives, graviton catapults) during her time in the Delta quadrant could have ushered in a new Golden Age of Starfleet exploration upon her return, bringing us to entirely new galaxies. Similarly, we never end up knowing if the Federation doesn't actually start making deeper and deeper forays into the Delta quadrant, inviting friendly species like the Talaxians, et al, to join.

Et cetera, et cetera.

And it makes me angry, in a way, because these same execs would rather rape canon, than actually progress with a new sequel series that carries Trek further in the future.

And, frankly, I don't know about the rest of you, but we live in a sufficiently messed up world that I really could use some good old-fashioned, hopeful, bright and optimistic forward-looking Trek, instead of this dark, heavy, morally ambiguous thing we've got now with ST:D.

</rant>

SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by SKO »

MadManMUC wrote:
SKO wrote:I feel like most Hollywood execs never bothered to watch TNG/DS9/VOY and to them Star Trek is always "Kirk, Spock, etc" so they underestimate just how much love there was for the sequel era
Also true. And between these three series, there are ample creative springboards upon which to build a series. We never end up knowing, for example, if there's ever been any meaningful contact between the Gamma and Delta quadrants, that could lead up to a Borg v Dominion confrontation that catches all the Alpha and Beta quadrant species in the middle. Or, we never know if Janeway's dabbling in new technologies (quantum slipstream drives, graviton catapults) during her time in the Delta quadrant could have ushered in a new Golden Age of Starfleet exploration upon her return, bringing us to entirely new galaxies. Similarly, we never end up knowing if the Federation doesn't actually start making deeper and deeper forays into the Delta quadrant, inviting friendly species like the Talaxians, et al, to join.

Et cetera, et cetera.

And it makes me angry, in a way, because these same execs would rather rape canon, than actually progress with a new sequel series that carries Trek further in the future.

And, frankly, I don't know about the rest of you, but we live in a sufficiently messed up world that I really could use some good old-fashioned, hopeful, bright and optimistic forward-looking Trek, instead of this dark, heavy, morally ambiguous thing we've got now with ST:D.

</rant>
amen.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

MadManMUC wrote:And, frankly, I don't know about the rest of you, but we live in a sufficiently messed up world that I really could use some good old-fashioned, hopeful, bright and optimistic forward-looking Trek, instead of this dark, heavy, morally ambiguous thing we've got now with ST:D.
Watch The Orville. I joke it's Star Trek: Throwback
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Gidiot
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Gidiot »

:imsorry: * Just to keep this topic "Kosher" in the 1/1400 scale thread.... Anyone working on a 1/1400 Discovery or Shenzhou?

and to keep to the real topic... :?: WTF is with those Cling-on ships? (yes Purposely spelt badly- kinda like the design of those ships... :klingon: )
Resin-Modeller
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Resin-Modeller »

The Shenzhou looks cool so may be? Would b a while yet tho...
RESIN MODELLER

1/2500 and 1/1400 Scale Star Trek Modeller. New Models monthly.
Full listings can be found here and are dispatched across the globe!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Has the length of the Discovery & Shenzhou been established? I've seen a lot of educated guesses, but nothing that has the definitive size
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

I don't know how official this figure is, or if it's wild fan speculation, but the website ncc-1031.com lists Discovery's length as being 'approx 244 metres'. That would put it 45 metres shy of the original Constitution class, according to Memory Alpha.

About 1/3 down the page: https://ncc-1031.com/starships/star-trek ... -ncc-1031/

Probably to be taken with a grain of salt.

Edit
I also just noticed the date the article was published (2016), and the fact that all of the reference shots use the old CGI model from the teaser trailers, which had substantially shorter nacelles. In fact, why they didn't keep this model, I really don't now. I much prefer it to the hero we see in the series. It feels much more pre-TOS, but in a cool way.

Return to “1/1400”