Sulfer Crested Romulan

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Re: Sulfer Crested Romulan

Post by RogueWolf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:55 am

Jason Abbadon wrote:Good call, Roguewolf- moving parts on a Starship is the height of stupidity,- the the KBOP being the ONLY exception!
I think so as well. Take the Reman Warbird in ST: Nemesis. All Picard had to do to stop the weapon was ram the delicate wings! No need to ram the ship head on. Once the wing emitters were busted up the weapon wouldn't be able to fire properly anyway.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Moving parts on a starship is the height of stupidity? Gosh, i hope that qualifies for tongue-in-cheek. ;)

I'll take the imaginary starships that are 2500 times smaller than if they were real and raise you all the real life, stupid 'professional' folk i have to calmly talk to, because talking to them with a raised voice or telling them what i'd like to do to them might make them question what on earth they could have done wrong.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm

What, this doesn't look feasible to y'all?

http://holmers.com/FlappingWings.gif

Your build's coming along nicely, Tesral
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:41 pm

While I like the KBoP, I still have issues with the moveable wings, why? What's the purpose? I know there is cruise mode, landing mode and attack mode, but why? why not just design the wings fixed/ Then there is no need of the heavy equipment required to move these wings. Same with Voyagers moveable nacelles, never a fan of them either.

While I am not a fan of very large starships having moving parts and such, I can appreciate the ascetics of starship design that may use these some of these elements.
Valar Morghulis

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:02 pm

The short answer from my perspective (because I don't want to start and completely hijack Tesral's very nice build thread) is because it makes it pop. As a gamer, I appreciate cool over canon or rl accurate.

Just to be clear though, RW's design looks great in any form. I am looking forward to more eye candy.

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 pm

RogueWolf wrote:While I like the KBoP, I still have issues with the moveable wings, why? What's the purpose? I know there is cruise mode, landing mode and attack mode, but why? why not just design the wings fixed/ Then there is no need of the heavy equipment required to move these wings. Same with Voyagers moveable nacelles, never a fan of them either.

While I am not a fan of very large starships having moving parts and such, I can appreciate the ascetics of starship design that may use these some of these elements.
On the KBOP they DO sorta make sense- in that it spreads the ship's weapons into a triangular firing arc instead of a fixed plane if the wings were straight across.
It also makes sense that they move upwards for landing.

But stuff like Voyager? No way. Soooo stupid in a fanboy "because it's kewel!" way.
Same holds for the Prometheus and all the other gimmicky things where huge amounts of the starship's recourses go to the gimmick- like how the Prommie's top and bottom sections can't dock up. Damage one part of the ship and the whole thing becomes a joke.

Also consider all the extra tonnage and wasted internal volume when a big part of the ship is the mechanisms needed to move huge pylons and tons of hull...

It's funny- until this last movie, even Star Wars shied away from capital ships having moving parts (and in SW, they were just goofy giant guns).

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:40 am

Not to derail Tesral's build thread, but my understanding was that the reason for V'ger's gimmicky movin' nacelles was that was the way to deal with the negative effects of warp drive as seen in "Force of Nature." You know, that episode where warp drive was polluting the universe (message people, message)? The episode so mindbogglingly bad everyone promptly ignored it because there was nowhere they could go with it?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 am

el gato wrote:Not to derail Tesral's build thread, but my understanding was that the reason for V'ger's gimmicky movin' nacelles was that was the way to deal with the negative effects of warp drive as seen in "Force of Nature." You know, that episode where warp drive was polluting the universe (message people, message)? The episode so mindbogglingly bad everyone promptly ignored it because there was nowhere they could go with it?
That was the thought I always had, too. But then, I realized something about Voyager's geometry. With the nacelles up, the Bussard collectors are obscured by the saucer. With them down, they have no line of sight to each other. I don't know how much they were paying attention to Roddenberry's laws when they designed the ship, but it's another possible reason for that.

RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:00 am

back to the topic at hand, Tesral, any more progress? Pics!!!
Valar Morghulis

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:26 am

This is a Lansky sharping system. By means of the diamond stones in this device I keep my blades razor sharp.
Burd10.png
This is a medical grade chisel. The things actually come in a sterile pack, not that they stay that way long. They run a couple of bucks each. Ergo they are not the throw away item that No 11 blades are.
Burd11.png
So I applied the object of the first part to the object of the second part and put that wonderful shave curls off resin edge back on the chisel. The impulse engines have been bedeviling me because I can't get the usual suspect tools in to shave the tab down a tad as I am finding is needed.

Once I grab a couple more micro brushes from the box I'll glue the suckers up.

PS: I'm still fighting off the cold. I should be in bed with a snot load of Nyquil in me, but even with that sleep eludes.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “1/2500”