PORTIA, 1/150, Scratch build, WIP

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
Pantos
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

PORTIA, 1/150, Scratch build, WIP

Post by Pantos » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:05 am

PORTIA is a spaceship of many unknowns. The model is a work in progress. It has no plans/drawings other than what is drawn at the time to assist in its build.The scale is set at 1/150 due to the plastic human figurines to be used in the model. About a quarter of the ship will be cut away to reveal its interior (whatever that may be/include).

The build will be almost as mysterious for you as it will be for me. This is not a kit-bash type construction, but one made totally form other resources, such a found items from a secondhand shop, etc.

Started model making last year. This is my first sci-fi model. All four of my models have a scratch build element to them. As a result, I prefer scratch building as a modelling approach. In a way, the making of this model will be an adventure into the unknown.

To start with, I found a piece of PVC drainage pipe. I plan to use it as the basis of the model (shell/hull). From this pipe, I have drawn a basic idea of its cutaway sections/compartments, and how it may be displayed. Naturally, more will be added to the shell as the model progresses.

Pantos
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Re: PORTIA, 1/150, Scratch build, WIP

Post by Pantos » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Found two discarded road-side reflectors. They reminded my of a jet engine exhaust. Searched the garage for other bits to add with the reflectors Came across a PC cooling fan, transformers from an analogue TV, and a large Perspex knitting needle.

Both the reflector and fan would fit nicely into a 90 mm PVC pipe. Drew plans for some sort of space drive mechanism and thruster.
NB. I use drawn figures to give me an idea of size and scale.

So far, one end of the spaceship shell has an add-on and a purpose.

Please feel free to comment.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:20 pm

A large, 'cigar-shaped' /'cylindrical' ship huh
The :borg: in me, is impressed at the repurposing and the systems synergy you've got going there.
so, it's a "Generation Ship"? quite a large compartment
Reminds me of "Project Orion".

It's ironic that it's made from Polypipe,
given polypipe's use in actual amateur-rocketry etc. :D

Pantos
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Pantos » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:02 am

kobayashimaru wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:20 pm
A large, 'cigar-shaped' /'cylindrical' ship huh
The :borg: in me, is impressed at the repurposing and the systems synergy you've got going there.
so, it's a "Generation Ship"? quite a large compartment
Reminds me of "Project Orion".

It's ironic that it's made from Polypipe,
given polypipe's use in actual amateur-rocketry etc. :D
Thank you @kobayashimaru for visiting this build.

I suppose PORTIA could be a small generation ship. The compartments do, at this stage, look huge in comparison to the size of the figurines. I guess that is the nature of some of the parts used (not is same scale), and taking up a lot of space. But heck, who is to say it is out of scale when nobody knows what size something ought to be in fiction.

I looked up the Orion Project. Did not know about it before (I am new in such things). I can now see the connection.

In regards to rocketry, yes, it does seem that PVC piping is a convenient resource for cylindrical shaped models. So far it is proving to be a great asset for this build.

Pantos
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Pantos » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 am

Experimenting on was of lighting up the Perspex rod by using LEDs.

Have been thinking of having the Plasma Drive showing some sort of fault. Since an open ship, with interior view, invites me to create dioramas. The control panel at the base of the display case could have momentary pushbuttons that will enable the diorama to do its thing. In this case, while depressing the button, it could have the Drive flicker intermittently, and at the same time showing somewhere else on the ship the cause of the power disruption.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am

very cool, Pantos :borg:
"do not adjust your sets - that's supposed to do that" :D
I'm enjoying seeing this come together, it's gonna look great!

Pantos
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Pantos » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:00 pm

kobayashimaru wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am
very cool, Pantos :borg:
"do not adjust your sets - that's supposed to do that" :D
I'm enjoying seeing this come together, it's gonna look great!
Thanks kobayashimaru.

Pantos
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Pantos » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Added the LEDs to the Perspex rod. Tried to solder the leads in a way that to give it that retro look.

On the left-hand side there are four LEDs, Red, Green, Blue, and White. Their rotary switch positions, on the display control panel, are 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% respectively. On the right-hand side there are four LEDs, two Orange and two Yellow. Their toggle switch positions, on the display control panel, are 'LOW' and 'HIGH' respectively. Whatever that means is up to you.

Pantos
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Pantos » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:53 am

Return to “Off Topic”