Getting started

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Getting started

Post by Xen »

Imagine you're brand spanking new to the hobby. A Round2 or garage kit caught your eye and you decide to buy it. What else to do you need to make sure you have a enjoyable experience? What's your top 10 list of materials and general do's and don'ts?
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: Getting started

Post by Steam235 »

Well I was in this position after last Christmas.

First take a trip to a real hobby store. I started at Michaels and although it's a good store it's only paint for models is Testors enamels. I don't even think they have putty. Use real modeling supplies. Tamiya modeling tape is great for masking areas off and acrylic spray cans coat beautifully.

Secondly. It seems silly, but I had no idea that people used putty to seal joints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_D9lwo ... re=related
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

For getting started, begin with an inexpensive kit and build it straight out of the box (OOB). I was overwhelmed at first when I was trying to make a kit look perfect, but didn't understand that my skills were not up to the task of what I was trying to accomplish. Just keep the first few models simple, and plastic, and then work your way into resin kits, or modifying exisiting plastic kits with resin accurizing parts.

Knowledge will come with time, and it's okay to screw up some kits in the process. It's also okay to to show us your failures so that you can get some advice as to where you might have gone wrong. We've all been noobie model builders at one time, and we're all here to help!! ;)
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
jayrockets
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by jayrockets »

first off to my bro's here on this great site full o' beauty hope you all had a great turkey day .. i have a few simple tips i can share .. it was the last tool i got .. i work on really small models from 1 to 4 inches ..i also love detail .. so i took a lens off a camera and use it as a magnifier .. it takes longer to fix all the small details i would look over by eye .. but i think its worth it if you model to have great light and a good magnifier .. im not getting any younger as well .. i'll post some tool shots later 8-) 8-)
Go4Fun
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Go4Fun »

I think the first thing you need to do is find a dedicated area in your home for modeling. Even if it's just a roll around worktable that has big drawers with a board on top you need a good comfortable work area so you aren't bending over or lifting your arms higher than normal. I did this with a smaller board on top so if I had something with the glue drying I could place the smaller board in the top drawer and secure it. (This was because I had children and cats that are drawn by some strange, unexplainable magnetism to delicate models and parts!).
The most important tool is PATIENCE. Test fitting parts and cleaning up mating surfaces can be a pain but makes for a happy model in the end. Then test fit sub-assemblies and use your mind to see if it will fit the way the instructions say. I've had kits where a piece that was suposed to fit inside another wouldn't and had to take it apart. Even the manufacturers make mistakes.
One tool you do NOT need is a BFH! The Big Freaking Hammer is the tool of last resort and can be tempting at times! :lol:

PS: Jayrockets I know what you mean! They keep making type and scales smaller the older you get! :roll:
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Tools:

Clear place to work a must. Good light.

Pencils, compass, rulers.

Exacto knife. It doesn't have to be Exacto brand. I prefer tru edge blades. The #11 is a gift from Ghodd.

Sanding stuff. Sticks from the beauty supply will start you off.

Glue, appropriate to your model.

Putty is good. Resin models are notorious for bad fit.

Clamps, you can never have too many clamps. Even if it is only a roll of painter's tape, which has other uses.

Nippers if you have parts on sprune. A basic needle nose pliers, small size.

And something to hold them.

I would say that boiled to the very basics that will do you. there are dozens even hundreds of useful tools.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
cozmo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by cozmo »

Tesral wrote:
Clear place to work a must.
Well that explains why I have such a hard time.

Why didn't you tell me this decades ago?
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

cozmo wrote:
Tesral wrote:
Clear place to work a must.
Well that explains why I have such a hard time.

Why didn't you tell me this decades ago?
You didn't ask.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

And if you have kids or cats in the house: some safe place (yeah right!) you can store the kit and the chemicals away.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

A good closing cabinet for the chemicals, locking if you have kids.

I have kid, he is 34.

Return to “Construction”