Building a 1:350 Enterprise Refit - I need some advise on clear parts

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
TheBigAmbulance
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Building a 1:350 Enterprise Refit - I need some advise on clear parts

Postby TheBigAmbulance » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Hey All,

I'm a moderate builder trying to tackle the 1:350 Enterprise. There is a lot of detail but have been enjoying myself.

My question is this. Within the shuttle bay are two turbo shafts. I have seen various sites and examples of them being illuminated with colors. What have any of you done with transparent paint to make it look real as well as keeping the paint from looking obviously like paint?

As far as the main deflector, how does one add the "clouded" affect so it doesn't look painted and acts more diffused?

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: Building a 1:350 Enterprise Refit - I need some advise on clear parts

Postby mophius » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Welcome to AST TheBigAmbulance.

I am sure one of the more experienced modellers here will chime in at some point. I have not worked with clear materials or transparent paints so I won't be able to help you with this little project.
Please post some more of your handywork so we can all drool :drool:

:lol:
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby MadManMUC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:24 pm

TheBigAmbulance wrote:As far as the main deflector, how does one add the "clouded" affect so it doesn't look painted and acts more diffused?

I can't really speak to the turboshafts ... but as far as the navigational deflector goes, the simplest way is to lightly sand the backside of it (which is to say, not the side on the outside), starting with coarser grit sandpaper (say, 240) for a few passes, and working your way down to a fine grit (600 to 1000). You'll end up with a nice frosted finish that will diffuse the light nicely.

You don't want to be heavy-handed with your sandpaper — especially at coarser grits — because you'd up gouging the part, more so than frosting it.

After that you wouldn't need to paint it, I don't think. Using variable RGB LEDs with a circuit that changes the light from amber to blue (representing thrusters/impulse to warp) will take care of colouring the deflector.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:35 am

Another way to diffuse the lighting would be to use some material between the lighting source and the clear part. One effective way that I've seen it done is to use some of those thin, foam-y packing sheets. They are perforated so that they tear out in smaller parts, like paper towels. Because they're thin, you can cut them to fit the shape where you want them.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby MadManMUC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:11 am

el gato wrote:Another way to diffuse the lighting would be to use some material between the lighting source and the clear part. One effective way that I've seen it done is to use some of those thin, foam-y packing sheets. They are perforated so that they tear out in smaller parts, like paper towels. Because they're thin, you can cut them to fit the shape where you want them.

This gives me the idea that one could also use something like onion skin tracing paper cut to shape, to back the part. It's gossamer thin, so you could layer more as needed, without actually adding so much bulk. Don't know, I'd have to try it out, but it sounds like it should work, in principle.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:57 am

And LEDs are cool enough that having them behind a paper source should not pose a fire risk to your model

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”