Guenther-class Dreadnought

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Guenther-class Dreadnought

Post by Griffworks » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:16 am

This is my not-terribly-original kitbash of what I call the Guenther-class dreadnought, named for Todd Guenther of Starship Design, Federation Starship Recognition Chart, and Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume One fame. I used the Avenger-class MiniMecha from Thomas Models (basically, the Reliant) and the primary hull, an Indomitable secondary hull (also a TM MiniMecha kit), and the "neck"/nacelle assembly from a VA Miniatures Jenghiz-class destroyer. I cut the nacelle from the neck, inverted the neck and flattened the point where it slotted into a primary hull, then glued the nacelle back on top of that. I did a minor modification to the neck area, raising it up with some sheet stock to give better clearance for the shuttle bays, which I figure are some sort of fighter bays, with the secondary hull shuttle bay holding the bulk of the ships standard shuttlecraft.
Guenther02.JPG
Guenther02.JPG (17.34 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Under construction. I had a bad can of primer, so ended up stripping this and reapplying, IIRC. That was a lotta years ago! Notice that there's pink showing thru? Yeah, some of the kits that Thomas used to sell were pink, yellow, green, blue, etc... I guess that was batches of resin he was playing around with.
Guenther06.JPG
Guenther07.JPG
Guenther08.JPG
Guenther09.JPG
Guenther10.JPG
Guenther11.JPG
I really like this basic design with the Indomitable secondary hull. To my aesthetic tastes, it doesn't have but one unflattering angle, and that's not even all that bad when you view her bow-on. As with all things, YMMV!
Guenther12.JPG
Guenther13.JPG
I rationalize the two lower nacelles being LN-68's, while the upper nacelle is a LN-64 in that they don't have to all be the same type of nacelle in this configuration.

I'm going to attempt to replicate this in 1/1000 scale w/in the next couple of weeks.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Guenther-class Dreadnought

Post by No Good modeler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:03 am

Pretty dang lovely. I totally missed the boat when it came the indomitable class. I have never seen one for sale but would love to get my hands on it.

I like what you did here, all the parts fit well and doesn't look kitbashy to me.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:53 pm

She looks formidable. The Miranda saucer works well for a dreadnought. :bow: :bow:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 pm

I did manage to get an Indomitable class a few weeks ago but have lost all my mojo and haven't done anything for the last couple of months.
It was a find off Facebook that someone was selling on behalf of someone else. Circumstances unknown on their part but was really fortunate for me that I managed to bag it.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:48 am

Wow, thanks fellas! I appreciate the kind words. I didn't think she was anything all that special, really, tho was proud of my pretty simple kitbash. I'm looking forward to finally building this in 1/1000 scale. I intend to finish this one, get some decals made for it, then give it to Todd Guenther.

Thanks again!
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by No Good modeler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:46 am

mophius wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 pm
I did manage to get an Indomitable class a few weeks ago but have lost all my mojo and haven't done anything for the last couple of months.
It was a find off Facebook that someone was selling on behalf of someone else. Circumstances unknown on their part but was really fortunate for me that I managed to bag it.
Nice, you seem to always get the good finds! Haha

Return to “1/2500”