USS Bozeman - Cause and Effect

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Tailgunner
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

USS Bozeman - Cause and Effect

Post by Tailgunner » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am

It's been quite awhile since I've actually worked on anything, but after catching "Cause and Effect" on Netflix last week I decided I wanted to give a rather obscure ship a try. I've ordered the conversion kit from MVM, but while I'm waiting for that to come in I thought I'd take a crack at fixing some of the problem areas on the R2 Reliant kit.

I had actually already glued the two hull pieces together a year or so ago before putting the kit down again so we will see how that hampers the conversion kit when it arrives, but starting with the underside I filled in the holes for the planetary sensor array as I wont be using the snap features and gluing it on.

Next, I chiseled off the inaccurate raised lines from the engineering section forward. They are inaccurately spaced and will be replaced later.

The step on this area is also incorrect. There is what appears to be a panel line running through this section, but it's certainly not straight. It follows the curve of the 2nd most inner grid line and I can see no evidence that there is a "step".

With the existing lines chiseled off, I cut a piece of .3mm sheet and glued it down and puttied the seam. Smoothed it out and hit it with some primer.

Not too bad. Moving on, I added some detail around the raised area here. I haven't been able to say for sure if these sections are raised or just scribed on the studio model, but wanted to give a little depth. Again, with .3mm sheet I cut out two sets strips and the rounded off panels and glued them down.

Build tip: If you have one of these exacto blades in your stash, they make for a great template for those rounded panels. Just scribe/cut around them and then cut to size:

I also wanted to try replicating the 4 intake vents seen on the studio model. There's only about 8 mm to play with here so I pulled out the smallest stock I had on hand and made a frame.

Trying to get those 5 pieces evenly spaced was a pain and I got a little super glue build up here and there.

I think they might be a little out of scale as well, but once it's blended in and painted I think it will look good enough for me. On my Reliant build I may try a different method or just use smaller stock. Might be a nice extra for paragrafix to add in future PE sets however.

And that's about where I'm at now. However, in between steps I did try my hand at sprucing up the Refit deflector by adding the "ring of lights" trench. It's not perfect by any stretch and the ring of lights is too small and lopsided to really add any detail, even decals, but it adds a little depth to the part. Image

Feedback, comments, criticisms all welcome. I think this is my first build post here at AST. Glad to finally have something to share!

Dan

ProfArturo
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: USS Bozeman - Cause and Effect

Post by ProfArturo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Wonderful, looking forward to seeing it finished!

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Looking good Tailgunner! You found a few mistakes on the kit that I didn't know about which sucks because they are there but good to know so they can be fixed. I was thinking about picking up a Bozeman model myself but really only so I could cast the parts to make Sisko's Saratoga most of which are on the Bozeman model.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your build.
IMG_8788.JPG
You can also see the phaser emitters mounted on the bottom of the impulse deck area there, too.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Looking good. Keep it up :)

Andy

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Griffworks wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:26 pm
Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your build.

IMG_8788.JPGYou can also see the phaser emitters mounted on the bottom of the impulse deck area there, too.
Are you sure those aren't RCS thrusters ? I've never noticed phaser bumps on the studio model and have always believed they are actually RCS thruster but I could be wrong, Any info I don't have Griff?

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Other than having talked to other folks over the last several decades, nothing official. Thomas Sasser is the first person who pointed them out to me and told me his theory - phasers - , which makes sense. I doubt they are RCS thrusters, as there then should be RCS thrusters on top to counter their thrust. Plus, I want to say that Thomas had contacted someone at some point prior to the Big Trek Auction and was able to confirm that they were not only painted like emitters, they had "phaser bumps" there, as well. I can't find any pics that 100% confirm it, tho, so it's entirely possible that I'm misremembering, or someone gave Thom bad intel.

Phasers make a lot of sense, tactically, tho. That's an area that, should the MEGA!phasers or photorps be offline, those phasers mounted on the underside of the impulse deck, if charged up like they do the main banks, might be able to take a few shots directly aft or even ventrally as needed.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:27 am

There is precious few pics of the Miranda class underside but I was also under the impression they were phasers.
They are not present on the Boseman though. This is a picture of the underside of the Saratoga studio model.
Attachments
0000.jpg
0000.jpg (33.73 KiB) Viewed 215 times

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by patrickivan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Other than seeing the cool inspirational stuff people build, learning new things about Star Trek is why I keep coming back.

PHASERS under the impulse engines... I never would have thought, because I've never seen that view before.

Nifty.

And now I HAVE to look... Trek Core... You can just see the two rectangular spots.

Maybe a new thread for this? don't want to hijack this one.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm

andyh wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:27 am
There is precious few pics of the Miranda class underside but I was also under the impression they were phasers.
They are not present on the Boseman though. This is a picture of the underside of the Saratoga studio model.
Most people do think they are phasers I'm just not one of them and I could be wrong but given that there are what looks like RCS thrusters on the top of the torpedo bay and the fact that I don't see any phaser bumps even in that picture I'm sticking with my opinion on the matter!

Return to “1/1000”