good bye

New to the forum? Tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here.
moderntrekfan

good bye

Post by moderntrekfan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:16 am

9th
Fantastic!

10th
Allons-y!
I don't want to go!

11th
GERONIMO

12th
Shut up. Shutity shut up.
Last edited by moderntrekfan on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: hello

Post by Tesral » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:32 am

Welcome aboard.

We all have our favorite parts and like any entertainment product the quality has been uneven. Some like myself have been around since the beginning. Other have not.

For myself the story matter much more than the visual flash. But yes, Generations was not a good film. It has good parts, but not the whole.

Personally I found Kirk's death shallow and unfulfilling. Such a Heroic character needed a Heroic sendoff.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

moderntrekfan

Post by moderntrekfan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:09 am

for me picard was the hero of the film not kirk and kirk was long since considered dead and died saveing a ships and crew and 83 other people to be honest kirk is my least favorite of the original cast i prefered scotty mccoy spock

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:04 am

moderntrekfan wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:09 am
for me picard was the hero of the film not kirk and kirk was long since considered dead and died saveing a ships and crew and 83 other people to be honest kirk is my least favorite of the original cast i prefered scotty mccoy spock
It was both really. Spock was my favorite back when. But Kirk deserved better.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by TrekMD » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 am

Welcome aboard!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

ProfArturo
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by ProfArturo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Kirk died doing what he loved. Saving a planet by punching out the bad guy on a cheap rock set.

I thought the inclusion of the fanfare theme music as he passed away was a nice touch too.

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Welcome aboard! I like your positivity and fresher perspective from a younger fan.

I feel television is going through a Renaissance with quality shows both in storytelling and production quality.

I know TOS is a hard-sell to a modern audience, given that it was produced in the 60's with a fairly low budget, short schedule and designed for the small screen (like 19 inches!), which was low-definition, mostly black-and-white, over-the-air for a static-y screen. There have been major advancements in special-effects, video quality, etc. since then. Also, realism was not all that important back then. We also have newer generations of multi-tasking, instant gratification, non-stop action, gratuitous gore/violence, short attention span, etc. viewers.

But, a fairly short-run show did engender a lot of followers, some (like me) after shown as re-runs, which eventually spawned movies (Star Wars success contributed significantly to this) and follow-up series. But the show was ahead of it time. It was innovative, ground-breaking, thought-provoking, memorable, inspirational, clever, funny, entertaining with likeable characters. It was also a product of its time (sexist, campy, etc.). I think you'd appreciate Kirk a bit more there, since there was a history of mutual loyalty/faith in the captain/crew to do what needed to be done to handle any situation. Kirk definitely put himself out there to save the ship & crew.

Some TOS episode worth watching even today include "Balance of Terror" (where a potent and mysterious adversary threatens the Federation - the stakes are high and you must outsmart your opponent whom you come to respect and admire), "Doomsday Device" (where a powerful weapon threatens millions/billions and they must find a way to stop it despite being hopelessly outgunned), "The Deadly Years" (where some of the crew suffers from rapid aging leading to questioning loyalty in the face of incapability)...
Last edited by slawton on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SKO » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm

welcome aboard! I was also a young TNG fan back in the day, I think I was 6 or 7 when the show ended, then I watched every episode of DS9/Voyager as they aired. I'm definitely a 24th century Trek fan, but there are some very good TOS episodes in there . I recommend Balance of Terror, Doomsday Machine, Space Seed, City on the Edge of Forever, Arena, Devil in the Dark, Amok Time, Trouble with Tribbles, Ultimate Computer, and The Enterprise Incident. Those are the episodes that definitely fit in best with the continuity of the later shows and establish things that will become important for all of Trek going forward.

Are you a builder or just perusing? If you've built anything I look forward to seeing it!

moderntrekfan

Post by moderntrekfan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:08 pm

thank all for the welcome i will be uploading two different kitbashes i made soon

Return to “Introductions”