Defiant Class Alternative

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Defiant Class Alternative

Post by patrickivan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Hey- has anyone done any models of the Defiant without that odd looking front "warhead"?

I'm not a huge fan of the ship, but I do like it. But like it more without that dumb looking part that looks more like an afterthought, as opposed to what the ship should have looked like.

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Defiant Class Alternative

Post by ProfArturo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:19 pm

My main complaint is the obvious lack of a docking port despite it being shown docked at DS9 via it.

SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SKO » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:23 pm

ProfArturo wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:19 pm
My main complaint is the obvious lack of a docking port despite it being shown docked at DS9 via it.
there's actually just a big magnet on the front and everbody beams onto the station.

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Yet you see the cog-like airlocks opening and everyone walking in out, so there must be one.

WarpNein
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by WarpNein » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:43 am

I think the nose complements the engines well, although it begged to be a weapon of some sort.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:44 am

WarpNein wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:43 am
I think the nose complements the engines well, although it begged to be a weapon of some sort.
I found the detachable warhead a touch eye rolly myself. Looking at the ship with and without, I think I prefer with. It does complement the engine placement.

No the Defiant is not a favorite. Nose aside it has other design elements I scratch my head over. It looks like it should be dodging and weaving with the Millennium Falcon.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

WarpNein
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by WarpNein » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:58 am

Tesral wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:44 am
I found the detachable warhead a touch eye rolly myself. Looking at the ship with and without, I think I prefer with. It does complement the engine placement.

No the Defiant is not a favorite. Nose aside it has other design elements I scratch my head over. It looks like it should be dodging and weaving with the Millennium Falcon.
I didn't mean that it should be able to be launched. I'm hardly the first person to observe this, but Starfleet ships have used their deflectors like weapons numerous times, and it was LaForge's idea to channel everything through the deflector in Best of Both Worlds. That nose should have been a giant cannon. If we're to believe that much power comes out of its diminutive warp core, it should at least be available as a last resort weapon. Hell, they had to jury-rig it into precisely that in "Starship Down," when Sisko and Company decided to hunt the Red October in a gas giant. That should have come standard.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:55 am

WarpNein wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:58 am
I didn't mean that it should be able to be launched. I'm hardly the first person to observe this, but Starfleet ships have used their deflectors like weapons numerous times, and it was LaForge's idea to channel everything through the deflector in Best of Both Worlds. That nose should have been a giant cannon. If we're to believe that much power comes out of its diminutive warp core, it should at least be available as a last resort weapon. Hell, they had to jury-rig it into precisely that in "Starship Down," when Sisko and Company decided to hunt the Red October in a gas giant. That should have come standard.
Deus ex deflector.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

WarpNein
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by WarpNein » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:21 pm

Yep. When all else fails, just route everything through the deflector and Wave Motion your target into its constituent atoms.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by patrickivan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:48 am

Phhhfff... I'm going to make one then. If i ever get my new work station set up. Just moved this month into our first home. Finally got one at 40 something!

Anyway. The deflector weaponization wasn't a baaad idea. And having the deflector get blown out of service afterwards is all good and fine as a one shot last ditch. But I really thought that the kind of power allocation should have been greater.

It kind of bugged me that if this could be done, why not build specialized weapons for just this application? Sure, it's like bringing one big expensive round to a fight, but you'd have thought the Earth at least could have been surrounded by these as a crazy defense platform that could annihilate the borg or Jem'Hadar in a second.

Excuse the ramblings of a guy who just got up and hasn't had his full coffee.

Return to “Trek Art”