USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-B - My version, anyhow....

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-B - My version, anyhow....

Post by Griffworks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 am

Yep. Just when you thought I was dead and buried, I'm baaaackkk…! :D

Here's my version of the Enterprise-B. I've never really been a fan of all of the details that were added to make the E-B stand out more in ST:GEN than just an Excelsior. It just bugged me. Mostly, the impulse engines on the outboard aft section of the primary hull. One of those "WTF?!?" kinda things to my thinking. One of the MSD's shows them labeled as shuttle bays, which I like better than impulse engines, but even that doesn't really pass the common sense test, IMNSHO, given how close they are to the front of the warp nacelles.

So, here's how I think she prolly would have looked better. As with all things in life, YMMV. Build your vision the way you want and I'll most likely support you on it, 'cause it just looks fugly in it's "real world" configuration to me.

Obligatory album link.

One of the first things I did was to take a note from Todd Guenther's Ingram-class starship. It was based off of very early, and not terribly clear pics of the Excelsior, seen first in ST:III. I decided to give it a bit more character by adding a B/C deck area to the top of the primary hull. My initial work was too tall and just looked wrong.

So, I sanded it with various grades of sand paper, as well as worked out the sides to make a slightly concave "trench" similar to that on the Refit's B/C deck area.

Here's the end result. Yes, it's still rough, and yes there's an overabundance of putty on the side of the bridge, which is a casting of an Abbe-class bridge I made for personal use.

Another thing I didn't like was the cargo doors/shuttle bay on the upper aft secondary hull's fantail. It's too short for a short and still a somewhat tight space for a WorkBee train to bring in cargo. Safety first, right?!? So, I decided to once again borrow from Todd Guenther's works and added an Ingram-class shuttle bay, purchased off of Shapeways. I modified it to mostly fit into the same space as on the original Excelsior design. This makes it a full-sized shuttle bay larger than that of the Refit, plus gives it closing doors and allows for the larger Type II dockport shuttlecraft used on the Vulcan shuttle in ST:TMP to fit inside.

While I maybe should've lowered the overall height of the aft upper shuttlebay by maybe 5mm or so, I don't think it looks horribly out of place. Plus, you could have one layer of storage racks like the JJ-prise has from ST (2009) in which to stow the standard shuttlecraft. ;)

I also decided to replace the stock neck, using one of Aptivaboy's Excelsior alternate necks (#3).

More to come!

Again, here's the obligatory album link. Lots more pics there!

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-B - My version, anyhow....

Post by Griffworks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:41 am

Another thing I decided to do was to show the lower secondary hull "shuttlebay" open.

Initially, I thought to have just one of the doors - 'cause that's what they looked like to me - open.

Eventually, I decided to go with both doors open.

Playing around with getting an idea of the size to work with.

One of the things I decided to do was to give it two interior doors. One is in the same deck bulkhead area, going forward. The other opens above the shuttle bay deck and allows an alternate route for craft to egress or enter the shuttle bay.

Working on the ceiling door.

And now she's got actual doors.

Obligatory album link.

More to come!

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:18 am

Griffworks wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 am
Yep. Just when you thought I was dead and buried, I'm baaaackkk…! :D

So, here's how I think she prolly would have looked better. As with all things in life, YMMV. Build your vision the way you want and I'll most likely support you on it, 'cause it just looks fugly in it's "real world" configuration to me.

One of the first things I did was to take a note from Todd Guenther's Ingram-class starship. It was based off of very early, and not terribly clear pics of the Excelsior, seen first in ST:III. I decided to give it a bit more character by adding a B/C deck area to the top of the primary hull. My initial work was too tall and just looked wrong.

Another thing I didn't like was the cargo doors/shuttle bay on the upper aft secondary hull's fantail. It's too short for a short and still a somewhat tight space for a WorkBee train to bring in cargo. Safety first, right?!? So, I decided to once again borrow from Todd Guenther's works and added an Ingram-class shuttle bay, purchased off of Shapeways. I modified it to mostly fit into the same space as on the original Excelsior design. This makes it a full-sized shuttle bay larger than that of the Refit, plus gives it closing doors and allows for the larger Type II dockport shuttlecraft used on the Vulcan shuttle in ST:TMP to fit inside.

The alternative neck is interesting. the other two where things I noticed wrong as well. My personal theory is that the Excelsior was suppose to be a much larger ship and they rescaled it after the model was built. (Trek never does that!) So the bridge and shuttle bays are too small.

I personally do not like the lower...thingy...as a shuttle bay, how much shuttle bay does one ship need? I would end up slapping a door over it and make it vanish. I also don't like how thin the secondary hull is, or the lumps and bumps that causes. I mocked up this to get around that.
1mppExcelsior-proposal.png
1mppExcelsior-proposal.png (10.6 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SKO » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:02 pm

I always really liked the Enterprise B. Probably my second favorite Enterprise after the E-E. *Ducks*

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Kudos to you Jeff for opening up the shuttle bay. Personally though I always thought of it as more of a cargo bay but it works either way.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Tesral wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:18 am

The alternative neck is interesting. the other two where things I noticed wrong as well. My personal theory is that the Excelsior was suppose to be a much larger ship and they rescaled it after the model was built. (Trek never does that!) So the bridge and shuttle bays are too small.

I personally do not like the lower...thingy...as a shuttle bay, how much shuttle bay does one ship need? I would end up slapping a door over it and make it vanish. I also don't like how thin the secondary hull is, or the lumps and bumps that causes. I mocked up this to get around that.
1mppExcelsior-proposal.png
I'm with you on that. That cavernous space inside the secondary hull is a bizarre waste of hull space, and the lump that the nacelles attach to is very odd.

On the Ent-B, where is the warp core (or transwarp core?) meant to be? Weird use of space.

That's why closing up the secondary hull is a great idea that preserves the sense of scale and the basic usefulness of the hull.

WarpNein
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by WarpNein » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 am

Ooh, I'm going to be watching this.

The Excelsior is a troublesome design. There are few designs that look great from every angle (like the Refit does), but the Excelsior seems to exacerbate these problems. The Excelsior looks great from some angles, mostly three-quarter views, and them from others (mostly orthographic views) it looks almost gangly. I have particular issues with the top views of the ship. The saucer is too small for its overall length, and the nacelles are really thin. That's why I actually prefer the Enterprise-B to the original Excelsior, because the addition of impulse engines and visible bussard collectors beef up at least two of the elements that always struck me as too small for the original Excelsior to have completely satisfying proportions.

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:36 pm

I like what I'm seeing here! Love the Excelsior class and it's variant design, so I like seeing builds of them.

Return to “1/1000”